The Student Room Group

how to write critically for essays?

im in third year doing biomedical science and one of the key to getting good grades is writing critically but what does that actually mean? just state the strengths and weaknesses? is there a certain guideline to follow or qualities I need to look for when researching in primary papers? or a way I need to revise? any help would be great!
Reply 1
It basically means make an argument. Giving strengths and weaknesses might be part of it, but having that in mind (I have seen this a lot over the past decade) can lead to A-Level type compare and contrast, which is no good at this level.

What is your overall argument, what are you trying to say or to demonstrate?

How does the paper support or challenge that?

What might an opponent have to say about these points/the data? Is there a rebuttal or reinterpretation that you can make?

How does it fit in with the wider state of the discipline?

These are things it can be useful to be thinking about. I'm not a scientist, so there might be some discipline-dependent stuff, too. But this is a start.
Original post by help_me_learn
im in third year doing biomedical science and one of the key to getting good grades is writing critically but what does that actually mean? just state the strengths and weaknesses? is there a certain guideline to follow or qualities I need to look for when researching in primary papers? or a way I need to revise? any help would be great!
Hi there,

I study International Relations so this will be less specific for your discipline so I'd really suggest going to office hours to confirm what this would look like on your course. As said above, writing critically involves constructing an argument, while accounting for all points of view. This can involve engaging with critical reading to create a nuanced argument.

I hope this helps.
All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by help_me_learn
@help_me_learn

Critical writing is about being willing to question what you've read, and showing your questioning or thinking through your writing.

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending