The Student Room Group

Do I need to mention the name of the degree in my personal statement?

Hi, I am applying to Biochemistry at 4 of my choices, but for 1 of my choices (being my top choice also), I am applying to Natural Sciences (this is at Bath).

After reading some personal statements, a lot of people directly mention the name of the degree (ie. they say something like "I am choosing to study natural sciences as..."), but as I am applying to two different degrees, I obviously can't do that.

In my current personal statement, I have just instead talked about what I have done, being all things that are either biology or chemistry-related, as then I feel like it's clear those are the options I'd take for NatSci, and it should cover Biochem too - any thoughts?
No you don’t
No it's unnecessary to do so. Also at least some natural sciences degrees (e.g. Cambridge) are commonly applied to by students applying to single honours degrees elsewhere and are used to applications discussing primarily one subject. You can always discuss a little more about e.g. the interfaces between biochemistry and chemical biology or similar to give it a bit more "interdisciplinary" flavour while still being fairly focused on and relevant to biochemistry.
Reply 3
ah ok, thank you! I think that's what I'll do, as I have an interest in medicinal chemistry that I can link to biochem, and then I guess it still should work for biochem anyway?
Original post by lil_lily__
I am applying to Natural Sciences (this is at Bath).

You need to mention why you want to study Biology/Chemistry together - ie. studying the connections between sciences and not just subjects in isolation, and preferably in your opening paragraph. This will cover both Biochem and NS.
Reply 5
ok, will do, thank you! idk why that didn't just hit me right in the face of being an obvious way to show my interest in the interdisciplinary aspect of science. although I am slightly hesitant as in one of the biochem virtual open days I went to, they specifically mentioned how biochemistry isn't biology mixed with chemistry but rather its own thing, so I'm worried that if I talk about my love for both, then they may think that i don't actually know all that much about the degree if that makes sense?
Original post by lil_lily__
ok, will do, thank you! idk why that didn't just hit me right in the face of being an obvious way to show my interest in the interdisciplinary aspect of science.

Use examples - topics that especially interested you because they took you off in 'what if' directions because they used both subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending