The Student Room Group

Can a dissertation fail due to missing elements on title page?

I just failed the postgraduate dissertation, the feedback from the exam board states the reason for failing is because the title page does not have my name on it.

I forgot to include my name and my supervisor's name on the title page. This is the only reason my dissertation was failed. The exam board asked me to re-submit my dissertation the next summer, and I must re-take the whole year again.

I asked my supervisor, he said the missing elements on the title page should not be a huge problem. However, when the examiner noticed my name is missing on the title page, he just failed my thesis instantly without reading through the rest of the content.

Currently, my supervisor is helping me to resolve the issue with the department. I know the format is quite important, so my question is:

Can a dissertation fail purely due to missing names on the title page? If anyone had the experience to solve such an issue, any suggestions would be appreciated. (I am studying at uni in London)
Original post by w99l
I just failed the postgraduate dissertation, the feedback from the exam board states the reason for failing is because the title page does not have my name on it.

I forgot to include my name and my supervisor's name on the title page. This is the only reason my dissertation was failed. The exam board asked me to re-submit my dissertation the next summer, and I must re-take the whole year again.

I asked my supervisor, he said the missing elements on the title page should not be a huge problem. However, when the examiner noticed my name is missing on the title page, he just failed my thesis instantly without reading through the rest of the content.

Currently, my supervisor is helping me to resolve the issue with the department. I know the format is quite important, so my question is:

Can a dissertation fail purely due to missing names on the title page? If anyone had the experience to solve such an issue, any suggestions would be appreciated. (I am studying at uni in London)

There's no universal single answer to this. It's up to the university, if they say it fails, it fails - they set the rules. It is worth calmly and purposefully going through all the possible avenues to dispute this though - it doesn't stop anyone marking the work - many universities don't even allow you to put your name on your work to ensure blind marking.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
There's no universal single answer to this. It's up to the university, if they say it fails, it fails - they set the rules. It is worth calmly and purposefully going through all the possible avenues to dispute this though - it doesn't stop anyone marking the work - many universities don't even allow you to put your name on your work to ensure blind marking.

Makes sense. Thank you for clearing the fog. I think I will continue working with my tutor to dispute it and emphasise the main content of my thesis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending