The Student Room Group

Comparing The Yellow Wallpaper and A Doll's House for NEA

Hi, I'm currently planning my NEA.
I've picked Gilman's 'The Yellow Wallpaper' and Ibsen's 'A Doll's House' and am comparing them on societal expectations on women. However, I'm really struggling to find good comparison points. Could anyone help?
Thanks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Hiya - I did TYW but compared it with another book called Wide Sargasso Sea, if you want I can share my essay with you if you dm me an email address. My question was 'how does the male domination of society affect the female experience.' My line of argument, which could also work for you, was both authors use female insanity as a construct to highlight the repercussions on women of a society controlled by men.

- Both Torvald and John are shown as using diminutive nicknames such as "a blessed little goose" or "pretty little squirrel.' By likening the wives to animals, the husbands are shown as exerting their dominance as they see themselves as intellectually superior
also for AO2 for that point, you could say that references to animals are somewhat ironic as both animals are free, while the women are encaged.

- Both Nora and John's wife escape their prisons, rejecting the holds of their husbands. This shows that to be free, women need to be rid of the patriarchal fetters that confine them.

Hope that helped and I am more than happy to share my coursework with you x
Original post by rebecca-lol
Hiya - I did TYW but compared it with another book called Wide Sargasso Sea, if you want I can share my essay with you if you dm me an email address. My question was 'how does the male domination of society affect the female experience.' My line of argument, which could also work for you, was both authors use female insanity as a construct to highlight the repercussions on women of a society controlled by men.

- Both Torvald and John are shown as using diminutive nicknames such as "a blessed little goose" or "pretty little squirrel.' By likening the wives to animals, the husbands are shown as exerting their dominance as they see themselves as intellectually superior
also for AO2 for that point, you could say that references to animals are somewhat ironic as both animals are free, while the women are encaged.

- Both Nora and John's wife escape their prisons, rejecting the holds of their husbands. This shows that to be free, women need to be rid of the patriarchal fetters that confine them.

Hope that helped and I am more than happy to share my coursework with you x

Hi thank you so much for this! this was really helpful x
Reply 3
Hi would you be able to share your coursework with me as im doing the yellow wallpaper and a dolls house
sure - pm me your email address x
Original post by rebecca-lol
sure - pm me your email address x

Hi I’m planning on these two as well, which other short story did you compare with a dolls house as the yellow wallpaper is only a short story?
Reply 6
hi there!

was planning on doing the yellow wallpaper for mine last year HOWEVER they recently banned it because it was too short!!

maybe it was just my exam board (aqa) but you might want to check! if not the rest of perkins-gillman is brilliant and you could easily choose to do a collection of her short stories with a dolls house!

best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending