The Student Room Group

Making the difficult decision of choosing between 2 job prospects

Hello, and apologies if this isn't posted in the correct section.
I'm in my final year of a Biomedical Sciences degree with a minimum 2-1 outlook (possibly 1st class). I have made plans to take a gap year after this year ends before pursuing a masters degree and PHD due to financial reasons, however I am writing this as I sit with 2 assignments due covering areas in the field that I have fallen in love with (Bacteriology and Microbiology), and I am at a loss.

You see, aside from this degree I have always upheld a huge passion with literature. I wanted to write and publish my own stories since I was incredibly young but my parents advised me to pursue a secure job first, and consider the author side later. So I have done that, and if all goes well I can be a scientific researcher. However going throughout school every teacher I had always told me about how articulate and sophisticated I was at writing, even at a young age. It was even written on my leavers shirt by peers as even they took note of how I wrote my short stories and assignments for school. I graduated high school with two grade 9s in English (language and literature), and an A* in media studies (amongst other grades). As I had already planned out my more stable job prospects however, I didn't choose any English or Creative Writing based A levels, because of the need to be practical.

Recently, I began writing some more in my free time to take my mind off of a few stressors, and I'm doing this alongside overseas friends (writing chapters, exchanging chapters and sharing critiques). The nature of this writing can't be published as it is a non-cannon spinoff of a video game we love, however I feel myself with a huge passion burning inside every time my fingers hit the keyboard, and every time I let my mind drift as I find more ways to embellish plot points and display unique characters I've created. I feel so good when I write this stuff, yet I can't bring myself to write a lab report on lab work I recently did which I had so much fun doing. Nor can I bring myself to write up a poster presentation for the bacteria I was specifically allowed to choose what I'd write on, despite being fascinated by this pathogen.

I feel so confused, and so unsure on what to do. People have said in the past to just make writing a hobby or past time once you get your job but, what if I don't want that? My parents were happy to support my sister's pursuit of a dance career until she gave up (when she was doing really well and had no barriers in her way at that time), so I don't see why I can't pursue this and give it some undivided attention. But I know at the very least I need to get this degree, yet how can I if I can't find any motivation or will to complete assignments even when they are laid out so nicely and are on the things I'm most passionate about, other than creative writing. I'm at a loss, and I'm not sure what to do.

How do I make the right decision?
Always take any advice with a pinch of salt, but here's my take: you have a love for science as well in my opinion and you love writing. That's really great to have something to be passionate about! What I would do is do writing as a side hustle while continuing the science path, if the writing career takes off and you're making a good income off of that (or getting a passive income from anywhere else) and that's what you're more passionate about do that. To make a decision during your gap year give your writing career your all and put everything into it to see what it's like and if you truly want to live as a writer. You can then compare your writing life compared to your research life (your degree) and see which fits u best or if u want the best of both worlds. bearing in mind your comparing 3 years of a science degree to only one year of writing but it's still some sort of insight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending