The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster university vs Cardiff University

I recently got stuck between my offers from both Lancaster and Cardiff University for a bachelor's in computer science. Which university should I make my first choice?
Reply 1
Go through the usual list:

Compare the modules on offer, which one leans more towards what you'd like to do or your strengths?
Do they both offer placements? if not is that something you'd be interested in as it will greatly enhance your job prospects.
Geographically, which one is more favourable i.e distance?
Cardiff is a town uni and Lancaster a campus uni -Which do you prefer?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi!
I'm currently a third year Psychology student at Lancaster University, and whilst I can't speak to studying Computer Science here, I can tell you what it's like to study at Lancaster in general.

We have an amazing campus, with great facilities. Our library is home to a wide range of resources, and has different floors depending on the work environment you need, i.e., group work, quiet, silence. The buildings are modern, and there are so many places to study, eat, or hangout with friends.
The teaching quality is amazing also, and the staff provide constant support. The staff are available outside of timetabled sessions to go through things with you, and you know you always have someone to ask questions to.
My experience at Lancaster has been really enjoyable, and I'm really glad I picked it as a place to study.
In terms of choosing between two universities, I would suggest making a pros and cons list, and visiting both universities, if you are able to. This can really help you to get a feel for the area, and can help you invision yourself studying there in the future.
I hope this was helpful, and good luck!
~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by amropali
I recently got stuck between my offers from both Lancaster and Cardiff University for a bachelor's in computer science. Which university should I make my first choice?

Hey @amropali
I was in a similar situation as you about 2 years ago. For computer science, I had clearing offers from both Cardiff and Lancaster and this is how I made my decision:
In terms of ranking and employment preferability Lancaster did have the upper hand so that had personally influenced my decision quite a bit.
Another thing about Lancaster that had caught my eye was the option to also do a minor and diversify your degree. It also helped my case that Lancaster was starting the degree with 4 core modules in the first year + minor, and Cardiff had 7 core modules. I am an international student so I really needed some extra time to settle in, make friends, get accustomed to the new lifestyle with living alone.
Although the Cardiff city was bigger with more "things to do" around as compared to Lancaster, The student vibe of Lancaster town personally sounded safer to me.
I hope this gives you some guide of how to move forward with your decision.
Best of luck!
Vyomika

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending