The Student Room Group

Declaring money earned from side job

Hi. I’m under 18 and do some maths tutoring on the side. Do I need to declare any earnings I make. Will this affect parents benefits? (Still in full time education and a dependent)

Thanks
Original post by Kialo29
Hi. I’m under 18 and do some maths tutoring on the side. Do I need to declare any earnings I make. Will this affect parents benefits? (Still in full time education and a dependent)

Thanks

I think you have to, but I wouldn’t 😉
Reply 2
Original post by Bigflakes
I think you have to, but I wouldn’t 😉

😂. Thanks for the reply. I don’t think I would have to pay anything as I don’t make much but I don’t want to get into legal trouble for it lol
Original post by Kialo29
😂. Thanks for the reply. I don’t think I would have to pay anything as I don’t make much but I don’t want to get into legal trouble for it lol

there is no lower age for starting to pay income tax. national insurance kicks in at age 16.
you are allowed to earn £12000 roughly before income tax starts.
Reply 4
Original post by Kialo29

Thanks

If you've earned over £1,000 in the tax year then yes, you are legally obliged to submit a Self Assessment tax return.
Reply 5
Original post by Kialo29

Thanks

Your age is irrelevant. Any earnings over £1k need a self assessment completing. It may affect your parent's benefits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending