The Student Room Group

Student finance income queston

Hi, I am starting my teacher training course in September and when it comes to maintenance loan I will be leaving my full time job so no income (I may get a weekend job for a little money) but do I just include my wife’s income on the form?

I’ve read that they base it on last year so obviously I would have my full income.

We also have 2 children can I get any extra funding for that?

Thanks
Original post by Adamwalters
Hi, I am starting my teacher training course in September and when it comes to maintenance loan I will be leaving my full time job so no income (I may get a weekend job for a little money) but do I just include my wife’s income on the form?
I’ve read that they base it on last year so obviously I would have my full income.
Thanks
Hi Adam,

We would take your Wife's income into consideration when calculating your funding. We take the Tax year information from 2 years prior to the Academic Year. We do offer Grants for Dependents such as Parental Learning Allowance and also Child Care Grant if they go to Child Care. Thanks, Ross
Reply 2
Original post by Ross SLC
Thanks
Hi Adam,

We would take your Wife's income into consideration when calculating your funding. We take the Tax year information from 2 years prior to the Academic Year. We do offer Grants for Dependents such as Parental Learning Allowance and also Child Care Grant if they go to Child Care. Thanks, Ross

2 years before would be me on my full time job salary so would I just not include my earning on the application? Thanks
Thanks
Hi Adam,

Yes. If she's not a student then you don't need to declare any income as we don't take yours (being the student). Is it a PGCE course and how many years will it be? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Yes it’s PGCE course for 1 year ☺️
Yes it’s PGCE course for 1 year ☺️
Thanks. So your income wouldn't be declared. It would be your wife's 22/23 income that would be used. Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Jason
Thanks. So your income wouldn't be declared. It would be your wife's 22/23 income that would be used. Thanks, Jason

Thank you for your help!
Thank you for your help!

You're welcome - just to say, this calculator will give you a good idea of what funding to expect ahead of you making your application.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Reply 8
Original post by Graeme SFE
You're welcome - just to say, this calculator will give you a good idea of what funding to expect ahead of you making your application.
Thanks, Graeme
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

The website says applications are now open but once I go through the steps it still says applications will be available soon.

Is it just a case of keep trying or is it actually not on yet?

Thank you,
Adam.
Hi Adam,

The applications are not yet open, this will be announced on our social media channels once the applications are available.

Thanks, Clare
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Adam,
The applications are not yet open, this will be announced on our social media channels once the applications are available.
Thanks, Clare

I made a bit of a mistake in my application. With my wife I put her maiden name because she hasn’t changed her passport yet but she used my surname when she filled her part in and it said the details don’t match and she wasn’t allowed to correct this. How do I proceed?
Thank you,
Adam.
I made a bit of a mistake in my application. With my wife I put her maiden name because she hasn’t changed her passport yet but she used my surname when she filled her part in and it said the details don’t match and she wasn’t allowed to correct this. How do I proceed?
Thank you,
Adam.
Hi Adam,

If they try inputting this again with the correct name details or they can complete and upload the following form:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65afcca870218e000cb41f9a/sfe_pff2_form_2425_o.pdf and support your application via form instead. Thanks, Jason
Hi Adam,
If they try inputting this again with the correct name details or they can complete and upload the following form:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/65afcca870218e000cb41f9a/sfe_pff2_form_2425_o.pdf and support your application via form instead. Thanks, Jason

Thank you, I will get her to try again and if not will do the form. Does it need to be printed and posted or can it be done online?

Also one other question please,

Regarding having dependent children,

You can give one of the following:

“Copy of all pages of most recent Tax Credits Award Notice naming all children
Copy of all pages of most recent Child Benefit Letter naming all children”

I don’t have any of these that I know of so I don’t think I will be able to provide this evidence. I will still upload their birth certificates
Thank you, I will get her to try again and if not will do the form. Does it need to be printed and posted or can it be done online?
Also one other question please,
Regarding having dependent children,
You can give one of the following:
“Copy of all pages of most recent Tax Credits Award Notice naming all children
Copy of all pages of most recent Child Benefit Letter naming all children”
I don’t have any of these that I know of so I don’t think I will be able to provide this evidence. I will still upload their birth certificates
Hi Adam,

It can be uploaded digitally. If you don't have universal credits, child benefits or tax credits then you don't need to upload that evidence. It's only required if you're looking to be assessed for the parental grant. In which case we would need one of the above to assess you for them. Thanks, Jason
Hi Adam,
It can be uploaded digitally. If you don't have universal credits, child benefits or tax credits then you don't need to upload that evidence. It's only required if you're looking to be assessed for the parental grant. In which case we would need one of the above to assess you for them. Thanks, Jason

Thank you,

She is going to send off the form with the correct name,

Should I call student finance on Monday to let them know of the error?

Thank you
Thank you,
She is going to send off the form with the correct name,
Should I call student finance on Monday to let them know of the error?
Thank you
Hi Adam,

If you do not have the evidence for the children (proof of dependency) then yes please contact us to notify our advisors and we can remove the request by referring the account over. Thanks, Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending