The Student Room Group

How does it work to study in North America?

Just as the title says. I come from a working-class family, so wanted to know if it is affordable? Do you get to work there after graduating or do you have to go back home?
Original post by beatricehalley
Just as the title says. I come from a working-class family, so wanted to know if it is affordable? Do you get to work there after graduating or do you have to go back home?

You would have to apply for a job before hand and get accepted. However, if you're from the UK, you won't have the legal right to work there, so the company would have to get you a work VISA, which is a possible thing to do. To work there permanently you need to be a citizen I think. Im not fully sure but just google 'what you need to legally work in the US' and it'll tell you what you're looking for and how to get it.
Original post by tiger_expert
You would have to apply for a job before hand and get accepted. However, if you're from the UK, you won't have the legal right to work there, so the company would have to get you a work VISA, which is a possible thing to do. To work there permanently you need to be a citizen I think. Im not fully sure but just google 'what you need to legally work in the US' and it'll tell you what you're looking for and how to get it.

Also, how much does it cost upfront? I keep getting lost by google searching it, sorry if I seem lazy or anything haha.
In terms of work, you'd need to get a job to be able to apply for the work visa. You'd then have to go through the process to get it approved. The difficult thing there is finding a company willing to sponsor you for a visa instead of taking on an American. If you don't get one at the end of your degree, you'd have to leave the country.

In regards to studying over there, check out this guide I made (stickied in the forum) on the application process, which includes a section on affording it.
Original post by beatricehalley
Also, how much does it cost upfront? I keep getting lost by google searching it, sorry if I seem lazy or anything haha.

Assuming you got a job there, it would completely depend on what the company would cover. Some companies would cover the flight and others wouldn't. But if you were to move, you would need to pay for the flight and the 'moving' of your stuff. You can either only bring necessities with you in the luggage and essentially buy things like furniture there (if the house is unfurnished) or bring your furniture with you ? Kind of depends on what you wanna bring. I mean you'd have to pay rent and usually put a deposit down for a house so there's that as well. However, Im assuming rent would be paid from your salary, maybe youd just need to save enough for 2-3 months rent to cover the first rent and the deposit + random **** that happens in terms of house. Then the visa might be covered it might not, if not then you'd have to apply and I believe pay for that as well. Don't take my word too seriously as I am not American or anything these are just my guesses.
The actual dollar amount will completely depend on where in the US you decide to move to. Some are significantly more expensive than others.
Focus on trying to get a job there in the first place and I think the rest will fall in place from there.
Reply 5
some american universities have insane sticker prices but there are usually scholarships to help; a lot of universities probably have programs for international students. that said, it depends on the type of school (private/public) and the specific institution

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending