The Student Room Group

Law/ Solicitor

Hi, I am a second year university student in history. I want to pursue something in law in the future, probably become a solicitor. I was wondering if someone could inform me on what I need to do in order to get there (the process.) Thank you.
family law
Original post by tinyperson
family law

Erm... you don't need to do family law to become a solicitor.
Reply 3
Original post by Abubakar04
Hi, I am a second year university student in history. I want to pursue something in law in the future, probably become a solicitor. I was wondering if someone could inform me on what I need to do in order to get there (the process.) Thank you.

You'll need to a conversion course to practice law
Reply 4
Do a law conversion course then I belive you would apply to a training contract at a law firm
Hi! I'm a second year law student so I know a little bit. I'd say this year I'd start reading up about law and life in law, I did this 6th form before applying. I'd say 'letters to a law student' and then maybe reading some blogs. There are loads of movies and documentaries that are great for insight, don't trust Suits or How to Get Away with Murder!

I'm a Prime Student Ambassador so it's only fitting that I recommend that you get/use Prime Student, you can buy loads of the textbooks for cheaper and watch a bunch of the films on Prime Video. First 6 months free and 50% cheaper than Amazon prime if after that 6 months you choose to keep up with the subscription.

you can use my link amazon.co.uk/oxford1
This Autumn term you need to apply to big law firms for a vacation scheme next summer - these are paid at about £400 a week. they recruit most of their future trainee solicitors from there. Do not wait until you graduate. Let us find an example.....
You apply for this one from 4 Oct 2021 to 6 Jan 2022 for the summer 2022 ones - https://ukgraduates.freshfields.com/how-do-i-apply/applying-for-a-vacation-scheme
"You’re eligible to apply for the vacation scheme if you are a penultimate-year undergraduate studying any degree. You can therefore apply if you are in your second year of a three-year course or third year of a four-year course."

The biggest mistake students make is not getting on with this during the first term of their second year at universrity on a 3 year degree. The law firms recruit years ahead. Some smaller firms do not.
Also join the law society at univesrity, see if you can volunteer, go to every legal event at the university particularly if visiting law firms arrive on campus and put on events. Apply and apply and apply this Autumn to as many firms as you can.

Hopefully this year and next you will get on a vacation scheme and after apply for your 2 years of paid training once the firm has paid to put you through the PGDL and SQE1 course and SQE1 exam and then the SQE2 courses and exam. This is the process the bigger firms use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending