The Student Room Group

!URGENT! How difficult is Further Maths as a fourth A-level?

I want to do Computer Science at University. However, the sixth form I want to got to only allows further maths as a fourth a-level. At this sixth form they cover A-level Maths in year12 and further maths is year 13.
I was thinking of doing:
Maths
Computer Science
Physics
Further Maths
but I feel like the workload will be very heavy and it would overall be quite stressful for me based on what I've seen people say about further maths and how difficult it is.
Is covering alevel maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13 going to make it more difficult?
Would switching physics with any easier subject(any suggestions?) make it any easier?
Is it better to go to college which is not as good as this one to just do three alevels inc fm?
Is it worth doing further maths?
I am currently working at a grade 8 in all my subjects and hoping for a grade 9 for my maths gcse
Any feedback would be appreciated
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey! I'm doing that exact combination now. The one regret I have is physics - I think it's definitely much harder than FM or CS. I'd maybe suggest economics or philosophy instead.
Further maths is really important if you're considering applying for a "top" uni (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE etc.), but beyond those few, not having it won't hurt your application too much. If you're working at grade 8 in most of your GCSE's, 4 A-Levels should probably be manageable.
Original post by studybunny555
I want to do Computer Science at University. However, the sixth form I want to got to only allows further maths as a fourth a-level. At this sixth form they cover A-level Maths in year12 and further maths is year 13.
I was thinking of doing:
Maths
Computer Science
Physics
Further Maths
but I feel like the workload will be very heavy and it would overall be quite stressful for me based on what I've seen people say about further maths and how difficult it is.
Is covering alevel maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13 going to make it more difficult?
Would switching physics with any easier subject(any suggestions?) make it any easier?
Is it better to go to college which is not as good as this one to just do three alevels inc fm?
I am current working at a grade 8 in all my subjects and hoping for a grade 9 for my maths gcse

My son is currently in Year 13 doing those same four A-levels. His school does it slightly differently, as Maths and Further Maths run in parallel through years 12 and 13.

He got mainly 8s and 9s at GCSE and is clever, sensible and hard working (much more than I was as a 17 year old lol). We agreed to let him do all four with the proviso that he could drop Further Maths at the end of year 12 if it was too much but he's carried on with all four.

Is it doable? Yes - if you're smart enough (which you clearly are), and if you are prepared to put the work in.

Its a looong time since I did my A-levels, but I found that maths and physics complemented each other well and it helped me a lot doing both.
There's a lot of maths in physics (and a lot of physics in maths, at A level at least). Switching it with something else will add to your workload, not reduce it.

If you want to do computer science you should definitely be looking at FM. Not having it when you are going to a school which offers it will cut down your options.

You can do FM as a third A level these days, but double maths and CS does leave you with more limited options if you decide you don't want to do CS at university - you've pretty much ruled yourself out of a science degree, for a start. You might want to ask yourself what you would do if it wasn't CS, and see whether you would be eligible.
Reply 4
Original post by VeryAverage
Hey! I'm doing that exact combination now. The one regret I have is physics - I think it's definitely much harder than FM or CS. I'd maybe suggest economics or philosophy instead.
Further maths is really important if you're considering applying for a "top" uni (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE etc.), but beyond those few, not having it won't hurt your application too much. If you're working at grade 8 in most of your GCSE's, 4 A-Levels should probably be manageable.

Yeah I completely agree. Physics is much harder (currently procastinating revising for a test tomorrow lol). Id say do econ or chemistry instead but yeah defo maths fm and cs are all quite nice (although cs can be a bit boring but is relatively easy I think). Tbh I think u should be fine w just maths fm cs if ur set on studying cs at uni. Maybe add an EPQ

Hey! Thanks so much for the advice! I just have a few questions.
Is it harder to achieve higher grades in further maths beacause most of the people doing it would probably be those who got 7/8/9s in GCSE so wouldn't be higher grade boundaries?
How big is the gap between GCSE Physics and A level Physics?
Also how many GCSE subjects worth of content do you think one A level subject is?
(edited 2 years ago)
How big is the gap between GCSE Physics and A level Physics?
Also how many GCSE subjects worth of content do you think one A level subject is?

A level physics is a huge gap from GCSE physics because most of the content relies on an actual understanding rather than memory. Also, content is covered in depth. I'd say an A-Level is like 2-3 GCSE subjects depending on the A Level, but that's a difficult comparison to make.
Reply 7
A massive gap between GCSE and A level physics. Some topics at A level I think are fine like quantum, particles, materials, fields etc but some I found pretty difficult. I think if you're hardworking enough then you should be able to manage it but its really about whether you want to work that hard lol. Like im pretty sure I put in twice as much work for physics in comparison to FM.

as for ur second q, it depends on the subject. For maths I think like 5 GCSEs (considering calculus and trig to be like 3 GCSEs and the rest to make up 2), Physics maybe a bit more not bc of the content but the work you need to put in for exam technique if that makes sense lol
A level physics is a huge gap from GCSE physics because most of the content relies on an actual understanding rather than memory. Also, content is covered in depth. I'd say an A-Level is like 2-3 GCSE subjects depending on the A Level, but that's a difficult comparison to make.

Is it harder to achieve higher grades in further maths beacause most of the people doing it would probably be those who got 7/8/9s in GCSE so wouldn't be higher grade boundaries?
Reply 9

Its higher grade boundaries but its not much harder than normal maths imo so you should be fine
s

Original post by Cs115
Its higher grade boundaries but its not much harder than normal maths imo so you should be fine

thanks for you help :biggrin:
I emailed the sixth form and they told me they complete all of A level maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13. I also decided to stick with physics because A level econ seemed a bit too essay based for me. I'm nervous but also kind of relieved since I won't be too stressed during 13 and can just focus on three A levels although I have to do one of my A levels in year 12 :')

Any advice?
Reply 12
I was thinking of doing:
Maths
Computer Science
Physics
Further Maths
I am current working at a grade 8 in all my subjects and hoping for a grade 9 for my maths gcse

I'm doing the same as you, except FM. I don't regret it. All three subs complement each other. Thing is with further maths is that the work load is literally about 5x more than normal maths. I've loads of friends doing FM and a lot regretting it too. Some are finding it okay but you literally do a chapter in max 2 lessons. Rn they've already started the 2nd year of pure maths and nearly finished the first year of applied☠
Some people have dropped out too
A thing to remember though is that with some school you sit your AS exam in the first year, so you can just drop maths in yr13 and chill with 2 subs
Reply 13
Original post by Slx.24
I'm doing the same as you, except FM. I don't regret it. All three subs complement each other. Thing is with further maths is that the work load is literally about 5x more than normal maths. I've loads of friends doing FM and a lot regretting it too. Some are finding it okay but you literally do a chapter in max 2 lessons. Rn they've already started the 2nd year of pure maths and nearly finished the first year of applied☠
Some people have dropped out too
A thing to remember though is that with some school you sit your AS exam in the first year, so you can just drop maths in yr13 and chill with 2 subs

You do a chapter in like a week lol maybe less for shorter chapters like complex numbers and roots of polynomials. Its not 5x the workload either at most 1.5 and if you do FS1 it might be less workload lol. Id say maths fm and cs is good enough to study cs at a top uni. If you want to take 4 then Physics would be the most logical but imo harder than FM
Reply 14
Original post by Cs115
You do a chapter in like a week lol maybe less for shorter chapters like complex numbers and roots of polynomials. Its not 5x the workload either at most 1.5 and if you do FS1 it might be less workload lol. Id say maths fm and cs is good enough to study cs at a top uni. If you want to take 4 then Physics would be the most logical but imo harder than FM

I mean it's much more than normal maths that's the point I was trying to convey, ofc it's not 5x more ahhaha.
Physics is hard for sureee I just don't know how much harder it is than FM, people that are doing both say that FM is the more tough one, workload wise anyways
Reply 15
I started further maths thinking that I was gonna drop it at the end of year 12... well I ended up dropping physics and keeping further maths. Our school is doing it the same way as you, with single maths in y12 and all the further content in y13 and tbh year 12 wasn't too bad? In the beginning, there was a lot of gcse content and I thought of it as just fast maths. Now that I'm onto the further stuff, the extra work isn't as much as I thought it would be, and feels very much like an add-on to the single maths. Doing physics is pretty useful for mechanics though, since there are a few crossover topics and stats is fine once you know what you're doing.

I would say that it's worth doing further maths since a lot of computer science requires maths and the more competitive universities would prefer a candidate with further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending