The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking Further Maths A-Level and if so how do I prepare?

I am currently in Year 11 and I need to apply for my sixth form subjects before christmas. I'm planning to take maths physics and chemistry which is already pretty difficult. My predicted grades are 8s and 9s. I want to study engineering at a top uni and most of them recommend I take FM. I don't know whether I should tho because everyone I've talked to said it's extremely difficult and it will impact my other subjects. Any advice?
Original post by Kaotic
I am currently in Year 11 and I need to apply for my sixth form subjects before christmas. I'm planning to take maths physics and chemistry which is already pretty difficult. My predicted grades are 8s and 9s. I want to study engineering at a top uni and most of them recommend I take FM. I don't know whether I should tho because everyone I've talked to said it's extremely difficult and it will impact my other subjects. Any advice?

Could you start with the 4 and see how you go. Most 6th forms/colleges let you swap/drop subjects in the first month. So if you realise its too much you can drop it.
Reply 2
Original post by Kaotic

no harm in taking it, then dropping later if you feel the workload is too much. Although, if you do end up dropping it, I don't think you'll get offers from the top unis for engineering. Also, FM isn't that scary, people who say it's 'extremely difficult' are exaggerating. Yes, there are challenging topics, but on the whole it really is not too bad, as long as you keep up and do enough practise.
Original post by Kaotic

Hi there

I agree with the advice from the posts above. :smile: I would recommend giving further maths a go as a fourth subject. As you have strong foundations in GCSEs, you may find it okay. :biggrin:

If you do find that it is too difficult during A levels, you could always drop it. Would you perhaps have the option to take further maths as AS levels only, instead of having to do it for A levels too? This could also help you with getting good grades.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest