The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

University of Warwick 2022 Cyber Security Applicant Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Osceli
Anyone have any idea when the offer holder day will happen?🤷🏻*♂️

At least that's a good problem to have as an offer holder. It's the last thing on my mind right now, as I'm anxiously waiting for that UCAS email lol.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
same here dude
Original post by Osceli
Anyone have any idea when the offer holder day will happen?🤷🏻*♂️

Yes - we are just in the process of organising it. Roughly end of March/Early April.:smile:
Original post by jjxton
That's perfect thank you,

I just wanted to ask first about the cyber society discord event, do you have any instructions on how to join the server for offer holders? I looked at there website and there CTF events seem very interesting, are you involved in it at all or is it all student run?

lastly I wanted to know more about the open day event as I wasn't able to find much about it online, I live quiet far away so I would need some time to plan the journey and such. What sort of things will be taught about, are we able to interact with existing students and are there similar events to find out more about the finance and dorm situation.

If these are too sensitive for Student room I dont mind waiting until the DM restrictions are gone, I believe it is only a 3 day wait.

Thanks,
JJ

You will be invited to the Cyber Discord by the current president of the society...most likely you will be given details on this at the offer holder day. In terms of the society itself it is entirely student run... I/staff do help facilitate certain things and actively encourage/support the society.

In terms of the offer holder day we are currently in the process of organising it. Rough date at the moment is sometime in late March/early April. I can't comment on the finance/dorm side of things... there will be current students of the course involved with the offer holder day so you will have chance to ask them. :smile:
Do you happen to know an estimate of how many Cyber Security undergrads are taken in every year? I heard somewhere it's a really small number compared to other courses. @0xDolos
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 185
Original post by micdawgs
At least that's a good problem to have as an offer holder. It's the last thing on my mind right now, as I'm anxiously waiting for that UCAS email lol.

Keep positive! I’m sure you will hear soon. 🤞🏻
Original post by BradM99
Do you happen to know an estimate of how many Cyber Security undergrads are taken in every year? I heard somewhere it's a really small number compared to other courses. @0xDolos

Have a look at https://warwick.ac.uk/services/sg/spa/academicstatistics/admissions/
It gives a full breakdown of how many people applied and got offered a place for each department. Cyber Security is apart of the Warwick Manufacturing Group Department, so you'll want to select that on the side. And obviously, it seems to be increasing each year, and 2020 and 2021 are going to be somewhat outliers, so take it with a pinch of salt. But there are only two courses available under the Warwick Manufacturing Group, so it'll probably match up at least somewhat well for this course.

WMG Courses: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/education/undergraduate/
Original post by BradM99

We typically look/are able to take 40-50ish each year at undergrad...
Original post by 0xDolos
We typically look/are able to take 40-50ish each year at undergrad...

Oh well! Guess there's still hope then. Everything crossed!
oh well! Guess there's still hope then. Everything crossed!

only 50 no way omg
Original post by Anonymous
did they ask you for proof of GCSEs? My GCSE grades were really bad maybe that's why they haven't given me an offer yet

no they didn't - hopefully you'll get an offer soon!
Original post by Anonymous
did they ask you for proof of GCSEs? My GCSE grades were really bad maybe that's why they haven't given me an offer yet

I only got a 4 in English and a 5 in maths and got a offer, as long as you meet the requirements you should be fine
Original post by jjxton
I chose the course as my first choice as I believe warrick to be one of the best for cyber security in the UK, as well as the night life, acom and all other uni factors seem to be amazing.

The course is NSCS certified and covers everything I would like to go into right away (unlike other courses where you only do the security part in the 3rd year), the reputation is good in my opinion, when you say you went to warrick you dont brush it off as another uni you sort of look at it with a high status, all sites I looked at said there is a very good student satisfaction percentage with many getting work placements.

The night life seems amazing a quick google map look up shows how many bars, clubs and raves are near by. I mean warrick is only a bus trip away from Birmingham the rave capital of the world so you cant go wrong there.

I just looked at everything I wanted out of uni and warrick had it all to be honest.

What about you?

Reputation and NCSC accreditation. I haven’t looked around it yet! Various outbreaks of covid have stopped me getting there so now I am waiting for the offer then hopefully get on an offer holders day.

I’d really like to get more of a feel for the place, mainly because I’m autistic and I sometimes need things explaining differently or help with scheduling. At A level I rejected a highly regarded military style college that had no help for me and went for somewhere more relaxed and flexible and did much better (hopefully) I’m certainly happier:

So I would like to know a bit more about whether they help people like me to do well or if it’s just so it our way or nothing.
Original post by RoyKent
Reputation and NCSC accreditation. I haven’t looked around it yet! Various outbreaks of covid have stopped me getting there so now I am waiting for the offer then hopefully get on an offer holders day.

I’d really like to get more of a feel for the place, mainly because I’m autistic and I sometimes need things explaining differently or help with scheduling. At A level I rejected a highly regarded military style college that had no help for me and went for somewhere more relaxed and flexible and did much better (hopefully) I’m certainly happier:

So I would like to know a bit more about whether they help people like me to do well or if it’s just so it our way or nothing.

There's quite an active society for autistic students at Warwick (called Autism at Warwick), it may be worth reaching out to them on their social media if you want to talk to students about their actual experiences :smile: I've personally felt really supported here and found everyone willing to adapt things if needed, but I'm in maths so can't necessarily speak for other departments!
Original post by Interea
There's quite an active society for autistic students at Warwick (called Autism at Warwick), it may be worth reaching out to them on their social media if you want to talk to students about their actual experiences :smile: I've personally felt really supported here and found everyone willing to adapt things if needed, but I'm in maths so can't necessarily speak for other departments!

I will make contact- thank you very much.
I have an offer. But i still check this thread for 2 reasons. How to join the discord. And i'm rooting for you to get an offer

Oh well! Guess there's still hope then. Everything crossed!
That’s it! I’ve had enough! Just unsubscribed from UCAS’ mailing list, because I’m done getting my heart rate high for some ‘UCAS Ideas’ email. All I want is an offer/rejection notification from University of Warwick! Is that too much to ask? 😩😩😩
(edited 2 years ago)
That’s it! I’ve had enough! Just unsubscribed from UCAS’ mailing list, because I’m done getting my heart rate high for some ‘UCAS Ideas’ email. All I want is an offer/rejection notification from University of Warwick! Is that too much to ask? 😩😩😩

SAME OMG, ive literally had people that have applied after me hear back before me😭😭 JUST TELL ME IF I GOT IT OR NOT
Original post by mosamin786
SAME OMG, ive literally had people that have applied after me hear back before me😭😭 JUST TELL ME IF I GOT IT OR NOT

IKRR
Those who have had offers, were they for the published grades? My mate just got turned down by Exeter (different course) as they are over subscribed and have raised the grades needed. I think they were one of the unis that offerered people cash last year if they deferred.

Quick Reply

Latest