The Student Room Group

J.K. Rowling and Guardian ‘Person of the Year’ award closed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No, I'm using it to describe a piece which took anecdotes from poor quality sources (an anonymous twitter poll) and presented it as news without any of the relevant data on the topic.

You're obviously incapable of discussing anything in good faith so I'm not sure why I'm bothering, but it's not the "fake news" trope, it's that this is very easy to fact check and find that what your sources are reporting is incorrect.

Of course it's the fake news trope. When you accuse at least six different media outlets publishing the same story of simply lying, that is precisely the definition of a "fake news" claim. You say you've fact checked this but it's just as easy to accuse whatever source you're using check it against as lying instead.

When it comes down to it, what you believe in is censorship, even if you choose not to use that word. Particularly evident with "so and so shouldn't have been platformed. Call it "propaganda" as much as you like, but your approach still is what it is - a desire to hide information, viewpoints and opinions from public visibility because you don't like them.
Do you think Wes Streeting (former head of education at Stonewall and Labour Shadow Health secretary) may have heard rumours of the Guardian poll? Whatever you think about this issue it's good to hear his thoughts: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-59911781
Yeah, it sounds sus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending