The Student Room Group

Uni decision

Lately, I have been torn on choosing a degree and a university.
My choices are: Financial Maths and Stats at LSE, Maths at Harvard, Maths at Cambridge, Maths at St.Andrews.
My problem is that...I want to be an Investment banker , and I also love maths to the core, but I feel as though perhaps a pure maths degree might disadvantage me compared to a financial maths and stats degree.
So I don't really know what would be best. The only thing that is stopping me from LSE is it's supposedly inadequate social life and bad campus experience.
Have you applied already?
Original post by Ghostfreak0786
Lately, I have been torn on choosing a degree and a university.
My choices are: Financial Maths and Stats at LSE, Maths at Harvard, Maths at Cambridge, Maths at St.Andrews.
My problem is that...I want to be an Investment banker , and I also love maths to the core, but I feel as though perhaps a pure maths degree might disadvantage me compared to a financial maths and stats degree.
So I don't really know what would be best. The only thing that is stopping me from LSE is it's supposedly inadequate social life and bad campus experience.

Hi @Ghostfreak0786,

Although I can't advise you on these specific universities, I can offer some help on the side of choosing which uni to go to. Where you mentioned that the only thing stopping you from LSE is it's "supposedly inadequate social life and bad campus experience", are these things that are important to you when choosing a university? If so, you do need to consider these things, as when choosing a university you need to consider what is most important to you, be that the course, modules, societies, sports, local area, etc. as you will likely be at your university for at least 3 years, and if you don't enjoy life outside of your course, it may be something you later regret.
Where you say that a pure maths degree might disadvantage you compared to a financial maths and stats degree, with most universities doing a pure mathematics degree there will usually be compulsory modules, but also the ones that are optional and you choose - here is where you can tailor your course to what you personally want to study, and in your case, this will probably be Financial and Stats based or recommended prerequisite modules. I would suggest taking a look at what modules each of the universities you are considering offers, and also what each module entails (two modules at different universities may have the same name and cover subtly different content, and also different universities have different assessment methods). If you are looking to be an Investment banker and love maths, you could always do a pure maths degree, tailoring your degree to the financial and stats modules, and consider a year in industry/summer internship relevant to investment banking, as when potential employers consider applicants, experience is just as valuable as a degree.

Even this isn't relevant to any of your specifically named universities, I hope this helps you choose the right university for you.
Isabel :smile: (Mathematics student and University of Southampton Official Rep)
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @Ghostfreak0786,

Although I can't advise you on these specific universities, I can offer some help on the side of choosing which uni to go to. Where you mentioned that the only thing stopping you from LSE is it's "supposedly inadequate social life and bad campus experience", are these things that are important to you when choosing a university? If so, you do need to consider these things, as when choosing a university you need to consider what is most important to you, be that the course, modules, societies, sports, local area, etc. as you will likely be at your university for at least 3 years, and if you don't enjoy life outside of your course, it may be something you later regret.
Where you say that a pure maths degree might disadvantage you compared to a financial maths and stats degree, with most universities doing a pure mathematics degree there will usually be compulsory modules, but also the ones that are optional and you choose - here is where you can tailor your course to what you personally want to study, and in your case, this will probably be Financial and Stats based or recommended prerequisite modules. I would suggest taking a look at what modules each of the universities you are considering offers, and also what each module entails (two modules at different universities may have the same name and cover subtly different content, and also different universities have different assessment methods). If you are looking to be an Investment banker and love maths, you could always do a pure maths degree, tailoring your degree to the financial and stats modules, and consider a year in industry/summer internship relevant to investment banking, as when potential employers consider applicants, experience is just as valuable as a degree.

Even this isn't relevant to any of your specifically named universities, I hope this helps you choose the right university for you.
Isabel :smile: (Mathematics student and University of Southampton Official Rep)

Thank you so much for the words of advice. I'll look into the modules that the unis off me and make my decision from there😊
Reply 5
I’ve got an offer for LSE financial maths and stats aswell! x are you looking to put it as one of your top choices? :smile:
Original post by NeeraL
I’ve got an offer for LSE financial maths and stats aswell! x are you looking to put it as one of your top choices? :smile:

Yes! That's where I decided to go
Reply 7
Original post by Ghostfreak0786
Yes! That's where I decided to go

Ahh same same!
Your degree won't help you get a job at an investment bank. They don't care about degree at all and bland ones can often hurt your chances as your application might be too generic.

Quick Reply

Latest