The Student Room Group

Need help with A-level choices

I definetley want to do Psychology and Maths A-level, but which of literature,, politics or history should i do? I want advice, and before anyone says i enjoy and am good at all 3
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Usernamesaredum
I definetley want to do Psychology A-level, but which 2 of literature, maths, politics or history should i do? I want advice, and before anyone says the classic line i enjoy and am good at all 4

Hi what degree or career do u wanna do?

Maths and Lit would be a weird combo together and u may struggle. I would go for Politics and Lit :smile:
Original post by Mrbombasticdb
Hi what degree or career do u wanna do?

Maths and Lit would be a weird combo together and u may struggle. I would go for Politics and Lit :smile:

I second that, go for Maths and Politics AND Economics or Further Maths. :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
I second that, go for Maths and Politics AND Economics or Further Maths. :smile:

Do you need similar subjects?
Original post by Usernamesaredum
Do you need similar subjects?

Maths, Economics and Politics would be ideal for Cambridge or LSE :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
Maths, Economics and Politics would be ideal for Cambridge or LSE :smile:

Yes, If your r aiming for Oxbridge, mixed subject combo is preferable. SO, for example, Maths, History and Politics would be a good combo for Philosophy, Politics and Economics at Oxford.

I have a book at home which guides through the application process.
Reply 6
I would go for politics
GUYSS SO I NEED SERIOUS HELP ASAP.I don’t do a levels, but I do CBSE and I’m gonna apply to unis in the US or UK mainly, Canada too maybe.My subjects arenglish Psychology Politics Biology Economics Okay so now: I’m not really fairing well in economics, my overall percentage dropped by 8 cus of it. There are a few reasons for it; 1) The teacher is very biased and wants me to leave it and I get demotivated very easily 2) 11th grade eco is a lot of stats which I’m horrible at however grade 12 eco is mainly macroeconomics with no stats which I know I can do- But I have my 11th finals coming and I don’t want eco to ruin my overall percentage

Anyhow I was thinking of dropping it for sociology but then I’ve heard socio isn’t respected a lot and is seen as a soft subject, I’m scared I have too many soft subjects (not sure how unis view psych and politics) But I know with socio I could get an A* or an A The courses I’m interested in are either International Relations With Public policy or something similar, or clinical Psychology, or environmental sustainability/management. Law is something I’m also looking at but I’m not that sure yet.

I also have the option of leaving eco for either socio of history, however if I’m leaving it I might as well leave it for a subject that’s lighter, history is definitely easier for me than eco but idk I know socio would prolly be easier but I’ll sure I can get an A in history too but it’s gonna be alot of work considering all my subjects are already heavy essay based.

Would dropping eco and taking socio reduce my chances at courses like law or public policy? Are my other subjects well respected? Also I’ve heard universities in US don’t really look at what subjects u have unless ur planning to do medicine or engineering or something and focus on ur grades, SATs and extracurriculars etc. Cus if that’s true I should prolly just leave eco and take socio and get good grades..

So it’s basically take a harder subject and score decent marks or take an easier one and get good grades.However like I said I can get good grades in 12th grade Economics since there’s zero stats but don’t colleges also look at ur 11th final grades cus then Eco can pose a problem. I think colleges in the US look at ur grades from 9th grade around however about UK I think it’s mainly 10th and 12th. Also is it possible that the university might let bad grades in one subject go if my other subjects are all good, like do they also look at what u’ve scored in subjects individually?

Also are my other subjects okay and respected?

PLEASEE LMK FAST I gotta let my school know ASAP!!!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest