The Student Room Group

Too much pressure on girls to have a perfect body.

I was doing some research on self esteem and found an article about "perfect body". Do you think the society is contributing to this?

Scroll to see replies

Yes it is , and it always has done and it always will
Within online dating and some types of selfie obsessed social media sure.
But this also applies to guys.
Exact same pressure on the chaps what with the prevalence of gym bods on Instagram.
Yes, though I'd argue there is more pressure on women, not the "exact" same amount of pressure on men.
Reply 5
Omg yes 100% not even just bodies, there’s pressure to have big lips, a small nose, high cheek bones etc..
The pressure is only there if you let it get to you :smile:
Original post by studygirl388
Yes, though I'd argue there is more pressure on women, not the "exact" same amount of pressure on men.

There is possibly even more pressure on guys
Original post by studygirl388

The pressure's always there but I would say 20% of men don't need to worry at all about their looks.
(edited 2 years ago)
I love being small
Original post by tinyperson
I love being small

Really? I'd have assumed the opposite, tbh.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
The pressure is only there if you let it get to you :smile:

Yes, you're not on PRSOM!
But I agree. It's all about perspective. You can be overweight or underweight (both classed as not the 'ideal' weight), but there's no real pressure, is there?

Nobody's coming up to you and saying, "you need to work out", or "you need to build some muscle" (unless you're just really unlucky, and in that case this wouldn't apply to you) but 90% of the time, there isn't any pressure at all. Its just a phenomenon, that is impossible to attain, because there is no such thing as a perfect body.

If you live a little more care free, with a sensible workout plan if need be, at your own pace and comfort, you'll be one step closer to living a much happier life :smile:
Original post by gtty123
Really? I'd have assumed the opposite, tbh.

nah I do not want to be tall
Original post by tinyperson
nah I do not want to be tall

Touché. Anecdotally speaking, most females would prefer to be taller.
Reply 14
Original post by Khfhgdd
Omg yes 100% not even just bodies, there’s pressure to have big lips, a small nose, high cheek bones etc..

I think girls are just overly self conscious about their lips tbh. I’ve been in lots of circles as a guy and none of my friends at any point placed emphasis on a girl’s lips when we talked about what we liked
Original post by PossiblyNotGod
So this doesn't really apply to me and I wanna say that cause there's a lot of incel types on these forums with biased opinions but
I think the pressure is more on guys in terms of their bodies now.

The big one, height, that's obviously a greater pressure than weight but let's assume we're talking about the pressure difference between a man that is considered the perfect height and a woman that is considered the perfect height.

It's still much harder to build the instagrammable male physique than it is the female physique. For one, some people are naturally thin and in this case, if a woman is naturally thin she is born with a good physique which is something no guy ever is and two, for gym goers it's harder to build a good physique in terms of muscle mass for a guy than it is for a woman. For a woman basically, she has to do some squats and cardio (if she isn't born naturally thin), for a man he has work nearly every muscle and be lucky enough genetically to actually be able to build enough muscle to even look like he works out which like only maybe 15% of guys can without taking roids or sarms and that's an overestimate. If you go to the gym often you may notice this as when it's closing, there are only really guys left there that have been there for like 2hrs and they still don't look like they work out most of the time.

True, but arguably some ‘ideal’ features for a girl eg, a big bum, can be just as difficult. And things like big boobs are actually impossible without surgery. But then equally highly is also impossible to change in the same way, and I agree that’s more of an issue for guys. So I’d say the pressure is probably quite equal.
I actually agree with this.

Although social media and the meat market that online dating has become should predispose an equal level of pressure between men and women, social dynamics mean the result is different.

In essence as a man, because we are much more individualistic in our social dynamic, beyond an occasional joke there’s no real pressure from other men to look a certain way. Our only pressure comes from appealing to women and if your small or fat then to a large degree the modern online meat markets somewhat just ignore you as a potential mate unless you lower your standards.

Female social dynamics are somewhat different in that even amongst friendship groups women compare and to a degree compete with each other to look and act a certain way in large part because women are much more socially dependent/collectivist (unsure if this is simply a modern thing).

In essence very few men will ever look at their friends muscles and worry about how they look, women do.
Reply 17
how did i know this thread was going to see a male/female competition by male users saying they have it harder instead of just answering the thread title and the op. oh yeah, because it always turns into a competition :idea:

if men are feeling too much pressure (and i wouldn't know if they are because i'm not a dude) that doesn't mean there isn't too much pressure on women to have perfect bodies. like, the two are not mutually exclusive and one does not negate the other.

to actually answer the OP, yes women are bombarded with messages from the media and advertisers and celebrities about the ideal beauty and a lot of women feel pressure to emulate it; that's why they buy all those beauty products. that's why they buy all those diet products. personally barely know any woman whose never been on a diet (and they often start from an early age). like, i live with 7 other women and they're all on diets and only one is actually overweight. they aren't doing this for fun; they're doing it because the media/advertising/movies says very slim is beautiful and women feel they better strive to look like that, especially young women and teenagers. ofc there's the Kim Kardashian figure but that's another unrealistic body that some women idolise and which makes them feel inadequate even tho basically no one irl looks like that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Depends what is a perfect body in one’s eyes. Where I come from, I don’t think there is any pressure for an ideal body shape. However, I personally feel people should have a fit body for many health benefits.
I don't really think so. A lot of people like to admire the perfect body, but they will then choose to settle down with an "average" body.

Quick Reply

Latest