The Student Room Group

A level choices

I have to choose a levels soon and had a few questions. I'm hoping to apply to oxbridge for a science course (probably something to do with chemistry) and was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage if I did not do further maths.Also is it worth doing music as a more relaxed a level?
If you want to apply for a science at oxbridge, then you will likely not want to take music as an A level, as i dont think its a facilitating subject and has little application to science
Original post by qwer13
I have to choose a levels soon and had a few questions. I'm hoping to apply to oxbridge for a science course (probably something to do with chemistry) and was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage if I did not do further maths.Also is it worth doing music as a more relaxed a level?

Have you checked the entry requirements? Are you planning on taking 3 or 4 A-levels?

(Btw there's no such thing as facilitating subjects any more.)
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you checked the entry requirements? Are you planning on taking 3 or 4 A-levels?

(Btw there's no such thing as facilitating subjects any more.)

I thought facilitating subjects were still a thing but people dont tend to refer to them anymore as they are generally a bad way of choosing subjects?
Original post by qwer13

Year 1 Maths for MChem at Oxford University:

Mathematics for Chemistry course, which covers aspects of

Single- and multi-variable calculus
Error analysis
Complex numbers
Differential equations
Linear algebra

Calculus is in Core Pure 1 and Core Pure 2, so is Complex Numbers and Differential Equations!!! :wink:

So you really need to do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology or Physics or a Language or Psychology!!! :smile:

Without Further Maths you won't be as 'attractive' to the admissions tutors!!! :biggrin:

Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by qwer13

For Cambridge Physical Nat Sci, I think further maths is quite important but not as much for bio nat sci (you might not even need maths for that)

For MChem at Oxford, further maths is helpful but not required. You do, however, need to do 3 science subjects (maths counts as a science subject.) So chem, maths, bio/phys works as would chem, maths, FM, and music (in your case)

Good luck with your application

Quick Reply

Latest