The Student Room Group

Orchestral beats to bring out your competitive side (Gameplay)

This week's episode of Gameplay aims to bring out your competitive side! ...and if that sounds exactly the same as last week's synopsis, that's because they mixed up the episode summaries. :oops:

This time, Baby Queen's tracklist will actually include music from Kingdom Hearts, Unravel and Unsighted. I hope. If it doesn't, complain to the BBC, not to our Community Staff! :laugh:

Listen to this episode here (available from 02:00, Saturday 15/1/22)

Which orchestral tracks bring out your competitive side?

I used my best suggestion for this theme last week, but here's another: Casus Belli, from Call to Power II. Apparently games about leading a country and conquering other countries bring out my competitive side. :dontknow:

[video="youtube;xAel9Ukz6UA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAel9Ukz6UA[/video]
(edited 2 years ago)
Just about to listen to this! :yay: Hopefully the music in the episode WILL actually be different from last weeks, you can never tell with Gameplay. :p:
Legend of Zelda - Battle for the Sacred Realm: Lovely start. The Legend of Zelda series has great music. :heart:

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep - Fate of the Unknown: Damn, also very good stuff.

Kingdom Hearts - Dark Impetus: Definitely more sinister than the previous KH track, sounds like decent battle music.

Lost in Random - Random: Doesn't scream 'competitive', more magical and dream-like. Game looks nice, but no way would it run on my PC.

Bird Alone - The Garden of Our Hopes and Dreams: Pleasant ambient sounds. I'm guessing this is the relaxing break before the next big fight?

Maneater - Prologue: Grand orchestral intro-sounding track.

The Story of Blik-O/Fantasian - Act 3: This was okay; not really my thing, not orchestral, and not that competitive. :dontknow:

A Fold Apart - One Fold Closer: This game looks adorable. Music was heart-warming and relaxing.

The Vale: Shadow of the Crown - Call the Herd: Time to forget the playlist's supposed theme once again, and just enjoy the music. Best track so far. Game sounds really intriguing, too.

The Vale: Shadow of the Crown - Norman Kings: Glad we got more from the same game and composer; preferred Call the Herd, but this was great too.

Darkfire Heroes - Heroes: And back to the orchestral battle music. :yy:

Unravel - Watch the Waves: Cute stuff.

Valheim - Out for a Sailing Adventure: More 'adventure' than 'battle', as the name would suggest.

Signs of the Sojourner - Aldhurst: Nice track (again, if you ignore the playlist theme); have added the game to my GOG wishlist!

Genshin Impact - Rite of Battle: I've been hearing a lot about this game recently; music was a lot of fun.

Tell Me Why - Epilogue: Playlist theme has completely gone out of the window at this point. :laugh: Sad, downbeat track.

Unsig... WAIT A MINUTE, did Baby Queen just say we're getting music from Might and Magic next week? :zomg::zomg::zomg: Finally, the franchise gets some much deserved attention, you CANNOT talk about gaming music without including Might and Magic. Or I cannot, at any rate. :p: Genuinely looking forward to seeing which game and music are featured!

Unsighted - Crystalline: My mind was elsewhere while this was playing. :ahee: Sounded like passable BGM, nothing that would have stood out to me.

Overall thoughts on the playlist: the competitive theme got lost on a side quest somewhere around track 3, and never really resurfaced. Music was pleasant, though with fewer stand out tracks than usual (The Vale music remains the highlight). At least there were no obvious technical hitches with the track indicator!

Might and Magic, though. :coma:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest