The Student Room Group

Should I try to make this relationship work, or should I move on?

Hi everyone, it’s my first time posting here and I hope I’ll get a reply quite quickly. I’m a 22 gay guy that’s been in a relationship with a 19 year old guy for a year and few months. We moved too quickly with the relationship and there have a been numerous problems in the relationship but we do really love each other, however, due to me finding out that my boyfriend has been texting other people sexually on Reddit and weird dating sites, and me confessing that I’ve been on cam sites, we’ve decided that it’s best to break up, and my ex has been more persistent on it whereas I wanted to see if it could be an opportunity to work on what’s wrong with our relationship and fix it, but we both still acted as we were in a relationship, and talked about maybe having a break instead of a breakup but that we’re still loyal to each other. Not long after my boyfriend said he’ll go to a gay club that he initially invited me to but decided to uninvite me and go to it sooner than planned to get back at me for just looking at hookup groups on Reddit. I haven’t done anything with anyone, haven’t texted anyone, nothing like that, but found out that despite promising me that he’d be faithful to me, he confessed that he had a kiss with someone from his society that was disrespectful to our relationship in the past and I really disliked. My ex feels extremely sad and remorseful about it, but I don’t know if I can let it go due to him initially lying to me and being quite cruel to my feelings. I also feel that despite the fact that I also did wrong and I know it, I’ve been disrespected more throughout the relationship.
I know it’s a whole load of bs and it sounds stupid because it really is, but I’m feeling extremely confused and don’t know what to do so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Break is only 2 letters different to break-up...

If you were both truly happy and secure in the relationship you wouldn't be looking elsewhere for anything, and even looking is emotionally cheating. The trust has been lost and if you stay together there will be question marks on both sides as to whether the other person is being faithful. The fact that you are being competitive about the wrongdoings- "I've been disrespected more" - isn't a healthy attitude and more of a stick to beat your boyfriend with if either of you stray again. End it.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Break is only 2 letters different to break-up...

If you were both truly happy and secure in the relationship you wouldn't be looking elsewhere for anything, and even looking is emotionally cheating. The trust has been lost and if you stay together there will be question marks on both sides as to whether the other person is being faithful. The fact that you are being competitive about the wrongdoings- "I've been disrespected more" - isn't a healthy attitude and more of a stick to beat your boyfriend with if either of you stray again. End it.

You're probably right, I just didn't imagine how difficult it can be to break up with someone even when things don't seem to work. Thank you for your response!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending