Calorimetry calculations

Watch this thread
Sarwat.
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
How would I answer this question this is all I’ve done so far.
The answer for q2 is -57kjmol-1
And the answer for q3 is -525kjmol-1.
I don’t understand how they’ve gotten this can someone please explain what I’ve done wrong/need to do.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  152.7 KB
Attached files
Last edited by Sarwat.; 3 months ago
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Sarwat.)
How would I answer this question this is all I’ve done so far.
The answer for q2 is -57kjmol-1
And the answer for q3 is -525kjmol-1.
I don’t understand how they’ve gotten this can someone please explain what I’ve done wrong/need to do.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  152.7 KB
So, for the first question, your answer is 0.057. Note, this is the actual answer of 57 divided by 1000 - so where do you think the extra factor of 1000 is coming from in your calculation?
Sarwat.
Rep:
(Original post by BlueChicken)
So, for the first question, your answer is 0.057. Note, this is the actual answer of 57 divided by 1000 - so where do you think the extra factor of 1000 is coming from in your calculation?
Converting it from j to Kj right because enthalpy change is measured in kj
BlueChicken
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Converting it from j to Kj right because enthalpy change is measured in kj
That is a true statement and does need to be done. However, are you sure your units are correct in q = mcT?
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Make sure you know which is the limiting reagent as well. Write out the equation and do a molar calculation before you do anything else.
Sarwat.
Rep:
(Original post by BlueChicken)
That is a true statement and does need to be done. However, are you sure your units are correct in q = mcT?
yes? I think so..?
Sarwat.
Rep:
(Original post by Turning_A_Corner)
Make sure you know which is the limiting reagent as well. Write out the equation and do a molar calculation before you do anything else.
ohhh ok I get it now so you divide the enthalpy change by the limiting reagent?
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
ohhh ok I get it now so you divide the enthalpy change by the limiting reagent?
The maximum number of moles that can react is determined by the limiting reagent. So the joules/kilojoules calculated by m=c(delta)T will be divided by the moles of the limiting reagent, not the excess reagent.
BlueChicken
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
yes? I think so..?
Look at the units - your mass should be in grams, as the specific heat capacity is given as 4.18 J g-1 K-1 (based on what you have written, you have mass in kg)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
19.17%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.83%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.67%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (20)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (30)
25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.67%

Watched Threads