The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

amazingtrade
My mate did a lot of wiring work in my bathroom but I am a bit worried about it. Normal spot lights have been used although low voltage ones, but there is some cable high up and well out of reach of water going to the extra fan to the old emergen heater circuit (a lower rated fuse replaced the old one) and I think this cable needs some protecting on it.

I am not too worried about the spot lights because they are low voltage and the transformer is well concealed from any water.

it should be above the ceiling ideally. it is fixed wiring or flex? fixed wiring is not actually water proof and being around too much will cause the insulation breakdown eventually. fans should also have a 3 pole isolator fitted to the cable powering it
Reply 21
andrew2022
it should be above the ceiling ideally. it is fixed wiring or flex? fixed wiring is not actually water proof and being around too much will cause the insulation breakdown eventually. fans should also have a 3 pole isolator fitted to the cable powering it

Bloody hell, if we ever sell our house I am going to totaly strip out the bathroom.

It is fixed wiring as well, I guess I need to buy some water proof trunking for it. Where does the isolator need to be fitted? All we have is a fused switch in the kicten which turns of the power to the bathroom fan.

I am actually a bit concerned it was 2001 when this work was carried out, I should have known better at the time to let my mate do this work. My uncle used to be a qualified electrician and he has seen the bathroom so he probably would have said somthing if it looked very dangerous.
amazingtrade
Bloody hell, if we ever sell our house I am going to totaly strip out the bathroom.

It is fixed wiring as well, I guess I need to buy some water proof trunking for it. Where does the isolator need to be fitted? All we have is a fused switch in the kicten which turns of the power to the bathroom fan.

I am actually a bit concerned it was 2001 when this work was carried out, I should have known better at the time to let my mate do this work. My uncle used to be a qualified electrician and he has seen the bathroom so he probably would have said somthing if it looked very dangerous.

ideally have the fan outside the bathroom above the door. thats were we fit them. the cable inside the bathroom isnt dangerous as such, but if there's an insulation breakdown and you touch it you could get a shock (altho itll take quite a wile for it to get that bad, and you would be able to notice it starting to get damaged)

as for stripping out when moving, there is a hell of a load of sockets been added in my house (i have 8 extra sockets spurred from the ring with a 13A fuse) which ill have to remove
Reply 23
andrew2022
ideally have the fan outside the bathroom above the door. thats were we fit them. the cable inside the bathroom isnt dangerous as such, but if there's an insulation breakdown and you touch it you could get a shock (altho itll take quite a wile for it to get that bad, and you would be able to notice it starting to get damaged)

Its a plastic cased model and its one where you switch on by pulling a string insulated cord.

Not sure what do witht he lights though as they are not the waterproof kind. Can these spot lights be replaced without going above the celing? Its all boxed in and getting to the wiring is going to be really hard so hopefully I can replace them from the outside.

They are not bathroom lights and they are basicaly above the bath although very highly above it.
amazingtrade
Its a plastic cased model and its one where you switch on by pulling a string insulated cord.

Not sure what do witht he lights though as they are not the waterproof kind. Can these spot lights be replaced without going above the celing? Its all boxed in and getting to the wiring is going to be really hard so hopefully I can replace them from the outside.

They are not bathroom lights and they are basicaly above the bath although very highly above it.

they should be IP rated, expecially if mains voltage. then can be replaced as long as the new type are the same voltage so u can use the existing wirin. altho, TBH, i wouldnt bother changing them. i have the same thing in my bathroom and it 4 years there have been no problems
Reply 25
andrew2022
they should be IP rated, expecially if mains voltage. then can be replaced as long as the new type are the same voltage so u can use the existing wirin. altho, TBH, i wouldnt bother changing them. i have the same thing in my bathroom and it 4 years there have been no problems

They are 12 volts, the transformer is well away from any water. My mate seemed pretty convinced they were safe at the time. We have not had any problems with hours either.

I just get a bit paronoid that if ever my parents decide to sell up and there was and somthing I wired became faulty it could be traced back to me. Although I didn't do the bathroom it was my mate but I suppose I went along with it.

I am sure my uncle would have said anyway if it looks dangerous when ever he knows I am doing any wiring he always asks me how I intend to to it beforehand. My uncles a qualified electriican(sp) but dosn't work as one so can rewire his house etc but needs to get somebody to check it.
amazingtrade
They are 12 volts, the transformer is well away from any water. My mate seemed pretty convinced they were safe at the time. We have not had any problems with hours either.

I just get a bit paronoid that if ever my parents decide to sell up and there was and somthing I wired became faulty it could be traced back to me. Although I didn't do the bathroom it was my mate but I suppose I went along with it.

I am sure my uncle would have said anyway if it looks dangerous when ever he knows I am doing any wiring he always asks me how I intend to to it beforehand. My uncles a qualified electriican(sp) but dosn't work as one so can rewire his house etc but needs to get somebody to check it.

it cant easily be traced back to you. it could have been a bathroom fitter, your neighbour, anyone. and since you wont have an installation cert for it there even less proof.
Reply 27
andrew2022
it cant easily be traced back to you. it could have been a bathroom fitter, your neighbour, anyone. and since you wont have an installation cert for it there even less proof.

Thats true, "so who fiitted this lighting circuit with a 30 amp fuse and using door bell wire" me: "err Author Babblesworthy a general Mr Fix it who has sinces passed away :smile: "

I just worry about far too much.
amazingtrade
Thats true, "so who fiitted this lighting circuit with a 30 amp fuse and using door bell wire" me: "err Author Babblesworthy a general Mr Fix it who has sinces passed away :smile: "

I just worry about far too much.

you bathroom is perfect compared to some of the jobs ive seen

Latest

Trending

Trending