The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Uni of southampton offer holders! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mxciej.j
I firmed my conditional offer to go to UoS quite a bit ago to study psychology, and as i'm procrastinating my revision intensely I thought why not ask on here who else is looking to go, has had an offer or has firmed and just kinda talk about what it was about the uni that intrigued you, and what course your going to do/looking to do :smile:

Hi, I have an offer to study oceanography and will firm Southampton once I've got my last decision back. I loved the uni and the NOCS is just brilliant (where earth and ocean sciences are based). I had an offer holder day yesterday which just confirmed my decision The academics were very kind and the day was very interactive. I do the IB and take higher Geography, Physics and Maths (AA) and standard level English Lit, Environmental Systems and German.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by xsimx
AQA seems to be the go to exam board for most subjects for some reason. But yeah I doubt it's any more or less difficult. What topics do you cover with Edexcel?

in year 12: social, cognitive, biological and learning, and in year 13 we do clinical and our optional is child. Issues and debates and the maths stuff being done across the two years, I think those are the same across the boards but the classic and contemporary studies differ??. Granted they differ between schools even if you do the same spec because I think the school choses the studies ??
Reply 22
Original post by LouiseC126
Hi, I have an offer to study oceanography and will firm Southampton once I've got my last decision back. I loved the uni and the NOCS is just brilliant (where earth and ocean sciences are based). I had an offer holder day yesterday which just confirmed my decision The academics were very kind and the day was very interactive. I do the IB and take higher Geography, Physics and Maths (AA) and standard level English Lit, Environmental Systems and German.

I heard Southampton is great for those kind of subjects, mainly due to location and such. What are IB's like to do, ive seen it listed on a bunch of grade requirements but never really looked into what it is. What other unis did you apply to if I may ask ??
Reply 23
Original post by tinyturtle319
haha ^_^*
hmm i guess i'd say the facilities n range of courses they offer. also the vibe there seems pretty nice n just seems to make u happy to study there if ygm

I can 100% agree with you on the vibe. At a lot of other unis I got this kinda like woahhhh feeling but it felt a little bit like I was being a tourist but Southampton really gave these feeling of belonging and this homey feel like I belonged there more so!!
Reply 24
in year 12: social, cognitive, biological and learning, and in year 13 we do clinical and our optional is child. Issues and debates and the maths stuff being done across the two years, I think those are the same across the boards but the classic and contemporary studies differ??. Granted they differ between schools even if you do the same spec because I think the school choses the studies ??

For AQA we do memory, social influence, attachment, biopsych and research methods in year 12, then approaches (cog, behavioural, biological, SLT and humanistic), psychopathology, issues and debates, and for options: schizophrenia, addiction, and cognition and development in year 13.

When I think about it, it seems like a lot and just looking at the spec is enough to stress me out :redface:

I think you're right, I've seen in past-paper mark schemes studies that we haven't been taught mixed in with the ones we have been taught, so I'm guessing that the teachers choose the ones they find are most fitting/relevant?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by yaso_g
Hello, yeah i’ll be based in winchester. I still don’t know exactly like i’ve read through the course but i still need to read it in more detail to know exactly if i wanna go but so far i really like it. I got rejected from two unis which i didn’t mind because i wasn’t really too excited to go there but now i’m waiting for University of Leeds and UCL

Yeah igy with the not caring for some of the unis, even though I needed to put 5 I only was actually considering 3 of them and the other 2 felt kind of filler. Hopefully Leeds and UCL give you the offers!!
Reply 26
Original post by xsimx
For AQA we do memory, social influence, attachment, biopsych and research methods in year 12, then approaches (cog, behavioural, biological, SLT and humanistic), psychopathology, issues and debates, and for options: schizophrenia, addiction, and cognition and development in year 13.

When I think about it, it seems like a lot and just looking at the spec is enough to stress me out :redface:

I think you're right, I've seen in past-paper mark schemes studies that we haven't been taught mixed in with the ones we have been taught, so I'm guessing that the teachers choose the ones they find are most fitting/relevant?

Oh wow it does seem fairly different then, for Edexcel we do attachment in year 13 and its one of the optional topics from child, health and criminological. Tell me about it tho ill have a 15 minute session of finally coming to terms with my a levels, look at the amount of content and just go back into a feeling of impending doom lmao :redface:
Reply 27
Original post by yaso_g
yeah same i only wanted to go to 3 of the unis and southampton was one of them so that’s great and thank you!! do you know like student life will be like and stuff like that cuz that’s one thing i’m looking into when deciding my top choices?

Im not really too sure, obviously there will probably be some sort of Bias because I support Southampton so that all I need for student life lol. Although from what I have heard there is a fair share of clubs because most of of the population is actually students. I feel like student life is a really difficult thing to gauge because you'll likely determine your experience through the people you meet and friends you make. So I'm sure that Student life won't be an issue at Southampton or wherever you decide to firm!!
I can 100% agree with you on the vibe. At a lot of other unis I got this kinda like woahhhh feeling but it felt a little bit like I was being a tourist but Southampton really gave these feeling of belonging and this homey feel like I belonged there more so!!

yup couldn't have worded it better :smile: n most of the people there seem quite friendly
I heard Southampton is great for those kind of subjects, mainly due to location and such. What are IB's like to do, ive seen it listed on a bunch of grade requirements but never really looked into what it is. What other unis did you apply to if I may ask ??

Yes it’s brilliant for ocean sciences and I just love the vibe like you say too. The IB has three programs but the diploma that I do is where you take 3 subjects at higher (a-level equivalent) and 3 at standard (as-level equivalent) as well as a core of critical thinking, volunteering and an essay (similar to epq). It‘s out of 45 points. 7 being the highest you can get for each subject x6 and then three points for core. I applied for Marine Sciences -Exeter, Geophysics-Southampton too, Environmental Geography-York and Geophysics and Meteorology -Edinburgh (haven’t heard from them yet).
Reply 30
Original post by LouiseC126
Yes it’s brilliant for ocean sciences and I just love the vibe like you say too. The IB has three programs but the diploma that I do is where you take 3 subjects at higher (a-level equivalent) and 3 at standard (as-level equivalent) as well as a core of critical thinking, volunteering and an essay (similar to epq). It‘s out of 45 points. 7 being the highest you can get for each subject x6 and then three points for core. I applied for Marine Sciences -Exeter, Geophysics-Southampton too, Environmental Geography-York and Geophysics and Meteorology -Edinburgh (haven’t heard from them yet).

That sounds much more confusing than my a levels lol, sound amazing though!! I hope everything works out well for you :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by yaso_g
thanks, that actually helps a lot!!!
what’s the main thing you’re looking forward to?

Other than the obvious stuff and also watching football and stuff im mainly excited to just meet a bunch of new people and make some new friends, explore a few societies and just finally step into adult life. Ill probably come back to this in a year or two and regret wanting to be more of an adult but we move lmao. I guess just starting a new chapter in life!!!

How about you ??
That sounds much more confusing than my a levels lol, sound amazing though!! I hope everything works out well for you :biggrin:

Thank you! And you! :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by yaso_g
Yeah, I guess I'm also the same. Kinda tired of living the same life lmao can't wait to start a new one with new people but kinda nervous at the same time. Why'd you wanna study psychology?

Initially I really wanted to go into delivering therapy because I'm very serious about mental health and wanted to make a change. However ive quickly realised im not built for delivering therapies lol and over a level i've been much more fascinated by psychology as a science and specifically neuroscience so that's the kind of route I want to go down. Eventually ending up in some sort of research role in the future!!

How about you, what made you apply for your subject ??
Reply 34
Original post by yaso_g
Choosing what to study for university was a huge rollercoaster for me. I was in the mix of psychology, philosophy, and art (which are very different things lol). First, I was leaning more towards psychology as I also was drawn more to the mental health aspect of it, and also, especially with the argument of 'who we are as a person and what led us to be that person' kind of linking with the nature vs nurture debate. I also did my EPQ based on the question of 'To what extent does a person's personality relate to a person's soul and experiences sorted and perceived by the human brain?' Basically a mix of neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy. But then idk what happened I was like nah to psychology and philosophy and then did art, cuz with art I base a lot of my work on psychological aspects, mainly to do with mental health. So i was basically able to combine two together which was really cool

That sounds great!! that's something that ive never really thought about it sounds super interesting tho. Are there any artists that I could search up that have a similar style ??
Reply 35
Oh wow it does seem fairly different then, for Edexcel we do attachment in year 13 and its one of the optional topics from child, health and criminological. Tell me about it tho ill have a 15 minute session of finally coming to terms with my a levels, look at the amount of content and just go back into a feeling of impending doom lmao :redface:

I'm hoping to make half term productive, but who knows :s-smilie: But the goal now is to meet Southampton's requirements, so i guess its short term pain for long term gain :smile: good luck to both of us!
Reply 36
Original post by yaso_g
An artist that I looked at recently doesn't really focus on the main idea of mental illness but you're still able to interpret the idea into other works. The artist's name is Damian Goidich. There are a lot of others, even really old ones from the 1900s. They never really explain how it is linked to mental illness, cuz a lot of them focus on like a hidden meaning in their work

Ill be sure to have a look !!
Reply 37
Original post by xsimx
I'm hoping to make half term productive, but who knows :s-smilie: But the goal now is to meet Southampton's requirements, so i guess its short term pain for long term gain :smile: good luck to both of us!

I just finished my half term! I have mocks next week and need to like plough through hours of revision. Good luck to us indeed though !
Reply 38
I'm sure you'll do great!! :smile:
Sounds great!! what kinda sports you play, can imagine that your gonna be joining that sports society. You've hit the nail on the head though as far as what in my eyes makes southampton so appealing to me!!

Yeah defo will be! Table Tennis is my main sport I'd say, followed by cricket, football, hockey, badminton and basketball; so pretty much every sport lol:biggrin:
How about yourself; into any sports or any other hobbies?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending