The Student Room Group

University is lowering the entry requirement, but why?

I applied for Southampton and saw a reduced grade to entry for this current year and for 2024. I also saw Newcastle has lowered their entry grades as well for clearing. Does that means something?
When the course shows there is a extra space and in clearing, does that means I have more chance to enter??
Original post by Seb S
I applied for Southampton and saw a reduced grade to entry for this current year and for 2024. I also saw Newcastle has lowered their entry grades as well for clearing. Does that means something?
When the course shows there is a extra space and in clearing, does that means I have more chance to enter??

Hi Seb, its all supply and demand essentially. If a course is low on applications and has many spaces, the entry requirements may drop during clearing, the same as if a course fills up, it may close and not make it into clearing at all.

Hope this helps :smile:
Nathan
Reply 2
It doesnt guarantee that you will be accepted with those grades - especially since those offers may be for International applicants only.
It's pretty common for universities to slightly lower grades for clearing.

Every year on each uni & course there is always variation in applicant numbers, how many offer holders will firm a course and how many students will meet the grades.

If they lower the grades for clearing this year, it means they probably have more room on the course however it is not possible to say if the same thing will happen next year as there is always volatility when you look on a course by course basis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending