The Student Room Group

English Language for foreigners

I just moved to England and my English is terrible. Actually it’s not, but it’s not enough for me to be pass the GCSE English Language ahead. Struggling with English Language, sometimes I don’t even understand the extract to analyse. I don’t know how to improve it quickly. Been struggling for a long time. Do you guys have any suggestion for it? Like how to improve my writing skills or vocabulary etc…
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by rosieposie22
I just moved to England and my English is terrible. Actually it’s not, but it’s not enough for me to be pass the GCSE English Language ahead. Struggling with English Language, sometimes I don’t even understand the extract to analyse. I don’t know how to improve it quickly. Been struggling for a long time. Do you guys have any suggestion for it? Like how to improve my writing skills or vocabulary etc…

oak national academy is a free website with english lessons for people who are born in England, there are lessons for pretty much every GCSE thing so it should help you understand extracts etc. I also recommend reading books like Tom Gates, they're for younger people (10/11) but they are clear english and don't have made up words like Harry Potter so it won't confuse you but I think that would be helpful for learning how to write dialogue. P.S. your english already sounds very good!
Original post by georgiggy
oak national academy is a free website with english lessons for people who are born in England, there are lessons for pretty much every GCSE thing so it should help you understand extracts etc. I also recommend reading books like Tom Gates, they're for younger people (10/11) but they are clear english and don't have made up words like Harry Potter so it won't confuse you but I think that would be helpful for learning how to write dialogue. P.S. your english already sounds very good!

Aww thanks a lot. I’ll try that one. Would be great if you don’t mind recommending more books for me 🥺
Aww thanks a lot. I’ll try that one. Would be great if you don’t mind recommending more books for me 🥺

of course! Tom Gates isn't a particularly engaging books to read as the plot is very basic, David Walliams does lots of longer books directed at children that are modern english which are a bit more engaging! :smile:

Heyyy there what year group are you in? I was in your situation in year 8 and I got help from my school and also tuition... and what they basically gave me is some short story of 1-2 pages with comprehension and it also involved me to search words that I didn't know so I understand the story :smile: along with grammar activities.
(edited 2 years ago)
of course! Tom Gates isn't a particularly engaging books to read as the plot is very basic, David Walliams does lots of longer books directed at children that are modern english which are a bit more engaging! :smile:

Cool! I’ll definitely try to find them on the library. Besides, I went to oak national academy website but it just have English Literature and Poem, can’t find English Language course or something like that. Do you have any other suggestions? Sorry for this inconvenience.
Original post by AriefaRahman1
Heyyy there what year group are you in? I was in your situation in year 8 and I got help from my school and also tuition... and what they basically gave me is some short story of 1-2 pages with comprehension and it also involved me to search words that I didn't know so I understand the story :smile: along with grammar activities.

I’m in Year 11. Actually, I did GCSE English Language before, one year after I moved to England and they didn’t help me too much. So I’m retake some subjects that I failed that year.
I’m in Year 11. Actually, I did GCSE English Language before, one year after I moved to England and they didn’t help me too much. So I’m retake some subjects that I failed that year.

Did you come and join year 11 immediately? because you said "I moved to England".

(I am asking so I can understand your situation to give appropriate response)
Original post by AriefaRahman1
Did you come and join year 11 immediately? because you said "I moved to England".
(I am asking so I can understand your situation to give appropriate response)

Yh fine, i dont mind. I moved to England and joined year 10 for about 1 month then year 11 after that
Yh fine, i dont mind. I moved to England and joined year 10 for about 1 month then year 11 after that

That is a actually a lot of pressure for real !! English language is a very hard GCSE.. I think it is Paper 1 and 2.

Key skills you need is:
1. Practice past paper - even if it is writing one paragraph each 3-4 days, write a good one.
2. You need to practice writing fast, the more paragraph the better but obviously look at number of marks.

if you practice the texts in advance you develop the skills. also Trust me no one really knows what the English language GCSE text says in the exam but what we all do need to know is what is a simile,metaphor, juxtaposition etc.

I am not sure if your school went through the structure of how to write each question for you? you need to use that.

also there is creative writing which is a lot of marks you need to practice that.

After you practice you will realise you can use those same words for mainly all extracts the exam will give you and that is exactly how you get many marks.

OK so now correct me if I got the wrong paper/exam because I did edexcel english language paper 1 and 2. also let me know if you need me to elaborate on more things.
(edited 2 years ago)
You’re right! I’m currently practicing some past paper as well and trying to their word. Moreover, do you how to gain more vocabulary asap? Thank you in advance
It's fine don't worry! On English it has English literature and language under just English year 9 is the year that has all of the language skills, also do you know what exam board your school is using? I could suggest good workbooks for it, also like the other person said reading comprehensions will be helpful in developing your english and vocabulary CGP on amazon do a lot of good books for people in year 6 but they're not super easy so I think it will be helpful.
Here are some of the books!
One singular book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KS1-English-Buster-10-Minute-Tests/dp/1782947078/ref=sr_1_4?
A bundle of books with an answer booklet:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Reading-Buster-Book-Bundle/dp/B08KWX84RB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=B766MWURB6AE&keywords=cgp+sats+english+comprehension&qid=1646820578&sprefix=cgp+sats+englush+comprehension%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-3

Omg thank you guys so much xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending