The Student Room Group

liberal arts @ Bristol

Is a foreign language a compulsory part of the Lib Arts degree? Would like to include English Lit but no other language based study
Reply 1
I believe that they have changed the program in the past few years meaning that you have to take 20 credits (one module) in an ancient or modern language, regardless of your pathway. If you want to avoid this but you still want to have more options for taking modules across the faculty, then you'll either have to take English BA (and accept that it won't have as many options outside of the English dept to study), accept LibArts and choose a language that fits with the rest of your program, or choose Comparative Literature BA and not have to take a language at all if you take it at single hons.
Reply 2
Original post by StudyUni
Is a foreign language a compulsory part of the Lib Arts degree? Would like to include English Lit but no other language based study

Bristol's page for the BA Liberal Arts programme at https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2024/liberal-arts/ba-liberal-arts/ contains a section "Course structure", which states "Full details about the course structure and units for this course can be viewed in the programme catalogue" and helpfully provides a button "Go to programme catalogue".

The flexibility of the Lib Arts degree means that there's a lot of detail to wade through -- but as far as I can see the foreign language component (assuming you're not doing a language pathway) is simply "20 credit points in an ancient or modern language at appropriate level" in the first year. There appears to be no requirement to do anything in years 2 or 3 (unless, of course, you're on a language pathway).

I would imagine that "appropriate level" would be based on your prior study of a particular language. So if you've already studied French, say, you wouldn't be eligible to do "Beginners French".

You'd need to pass the 20-credit language unit in year 1 to be allowed to progress to year 2 -- but I don't believe year 1 marks are used in the calculation of the final degree classification.
Reply 3
Original post by StudyUni

Hi @StudyUni,

In case it's of interest, Liberal Arts at UEA doesn't include compulsory language modules: https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergraduate/ba-liberal-arts

It has one compulsory Liberal Arts module, and remaining modules are tailored based on your major/minor interests.

I'm currently in my final year of the Liberal Arts degree here, so if you have any questions just shout.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending