The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Birmingham or Southampton for Computer Science?

Have received similar offers for both. Identical course. Have visited Birmingham which we loved, haven't seen Southampton yet, due to visit on 7 May. Any advice or experience welcome! Thanks
Hi Anon!
Congrats on your offers! I may be biased but I love Southampton. :biggrin: It's worth mentioning that I study History and not Computer Science (I'm sure another ambassador can give you some advice on the academic side of the uni) but I thought I'd briefly talk about the city and uni itself.

Southampton is a vibrant city with a great mix of city elements (like shopping centres, theatres and cinemas) and natural elements (like parks, rivers and woodlands). I love this about the city as there is always something to do but it is also quick and easy to enjoy a break in nature, like the Common which is a massive park with woodlands, lakes and open, grassy spaces that is a 10-minute walk from the main Highfield campus. It is also very close to the New Forest and beaches are about an hour away by train. There are also high streets, like Portswood, which is around a 15-minute walk from campus and has everything from charity shops and cafes to supermarkets and night clubs.

I also love the uni. There are loads of great facilities like the Uni cinema and pub and the variety of cafes and study spaces. We even have a student theatre that the Performing Arts societies perform in! The main campus has a doctor's surgery, gym and several libraries. We have a Students' Union which hosts lots of great events, from clubbing and welcome parties to no alcohol events and much more.

The campus is very green with lots of trees and flowers but also lots of grassy areas for picnics, sitting with friends or studying. There is also a lovely stream running through it and Valley Gardens which is a peaceful, gated garden full of flowers, sculptures and picnic benches.

I hope this gives you a brief insight into what the Uni of Southampton is like but please feel free to ask any more questions. I hope you enjoy the visit day and good luck with your decision!

Daisy (a third-year History official rep) :smile:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi Anon!
Congrats on your offers! I may be biased but I love Southampton. :biggrin: It's worth mentioning that I study History and not Computer Science (I'm sure another ambassador can give you some advice on the academic side of the uni) but I thought I'd briefly talk about the city and uni itself.

Southampton is a vibrant city with a great mix of city elements (like shopping centres, theatres and cinemas) and natural elements (like parks, rivers and woodlands). I love this about the city as there is always something to do but it is also quick and easy to enjoy a break in nature, like the Common which is a massive park with woodlands, lakes and open, grassy spaces that is a 10-minute walk from the main Highfield campus. It is also very close to the New Forest and beaches are about an hour away by train. There are also high streets, like Portswood, which is around a 15-minute walk from campus and has everything from charity shops and cafes to supermarkets and night clubs.

I also love the uni. There are loads of great facilities like the Uni cinema and pub and the variety of cafes and study spaces. We even have a student theatre that the Performing Arts societies perform in! The main campus has a doctor's surgery, gym and several libraries. We have a Students' Union which hosts lots of great events, from clubbing and welcome parties to no alcohol events and much more.

The campus is very green with lots of trees and flowers but also lots of grassy areas for picnics, sitting with friends or studying. There is also a lovely stream running through it and Valley Gardens which is a peaceful, gated garden full of flowers, sculptures and picnic benches.

I hope this gives you a brief insight into what the Uni of Southampton is like but please feel free to ask any more questions. I hope you enjoy the visit day and good luck with your decision!

Daisy (a third-year History official rep) :smile:

Thanks so much for this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending