The Student Room Group

My Mum Won't Let Me Have My Hair Shorter

I'm 18 and my Mum is insisting on going with me to get my hair cut. Because my hair is going to be used as an example for a trainee hairdresser's exam (decided by her, not me; it was someone at her hairdresser's who mentioned it, it's free. But she won't let me have it as short as I want. It's blonde and currently waist-length. My Mum wants it cut to an inch or two below my shoulders, whereas I want it at/ just above shoulder length. It's already been booked, so I can't get out of the appointment. It's in a few weeks. What am I supposed to do???
Reply 1
You are 18. You gotta start asserting your own will over that of your mum at some point. Something as small as a haircut is a good place to start. Just tell the hairdresser what you want and say you are the customer, not your mum.
An inch in difference is neither here nor there - it'll grow from your shoulders to an inch past your shoulders in a couple of months tops. Not worth fighting over.
Original post by skylark2
An inch in difference is neither here nor there - it'll grow from your shoulders to an inch past your shoulders in a couple of months tops. Not worth fighting over.

We're not fighting so much as disagreeing. And I don't know if it's an inch or a few, because zhe showed me by positioning where it would be on my back. I'm Dyspraxic, so I don't understand how long things are without something like a ruler.
Original post by Purplemonkeys
We're not fighting so much as disagreeing. And I don't know if it's an inch or a few, because zhe showed me by positioning where it would be on my back. I'm Dyspraxic, so I don't understand how long things are without something like a ruler.

Still, hair grows. If it's a bit longer than you want this time, get it cut to the length you want in October when you go to uni.
Reply 5
I Understand your moms concern, with short haircuts it’s easier to see mistakes and the girl is a trainee. Also waist length hair to above shoulder is a big transition and she probably is worried you’ll regret it.

But it’s your hair, and it’s just hair. Just do it.
She will get over it.
Still, hair grows. If it's a bit longer than you want this time, get it cut to the length you want in October when you go to uni.

I'm taking a gap year before uni...
Reply 7
I'm 18 and my Mum is insisting on going with me to get my hair cut. Because my hair is going to be used as an example for a trainee hairdresser's exam (decided by her, not me; it was someone at her hairdresser's who mentioned it, it's free. But she won't let me have it as short as I want. It's blonde and currently waist-length. My Mum wants it cut to an inch or two below my shoulders, whereas I want it at/ just above shoulder length. It's already been booked, so I can't get out of the appointment. It's in a few weeks. What am I supposed to do???

What’s she gonna do if you cut it? If the answer to that question is nothing, then cut it
I'm taking a gap year before uni...

You're 18. If you want to get it cut short, go to the hairdresser by yourself and get it cut short. If mum making your choices is more important to you, go to the hairdresser with mum and let her choose how long it is. If you didn't understand how long she was suggesting it should be, ask her again. If that involves a ruler, get her to show you on a ruler.

She wants it to be cut to longer than you think you want it. What's the problem? The only thing you won't be able to do is go back instantly to how it is now, and that's true however short you have it cut to.
Original post by j25_8
What’s she gonna do if you cut it? If the answer to that question is nothing, then cut it

I'm entirely financially dependent on her and don't even have my own bank account.
You're 18. If you want to get it cut short, go to the hairdresser by yourself and get it cut short. If mum making your choices is more important to you, go to the hairdresser with mum and let her choose how long it is. If you didn't understand how long she was suggesting it should be, ask her again. If that involves a ruler, get her to show you on a ruler.

She wants it to be cut to longer than you think you want it. What's the problem? The only thing you won't be able to do is go back instantly to how it is now, and that's true however short you have it cut to.

I can't do that, I'll have my phone taken off me or I'll get grounded. That's what she's like.
An inch is literally 2.5 centimetres, basically a tiny number that, unless you're getting a complex hair cut like layer or a fringe, will not make any difference. It will literally grow out in month or two anyways because I think on average hair grows at around the rate of an inch every 6 weeks.
I can't do that, I'll have my phone taken off me or I'll get grounded. That's what she's like.

Can't do what? I made multiple suggestions. Pick one. This is a total non issue. If this is really a cry for help because she is controlling and abusive in all aspects of your life, then say so. It's almost certainly not too late to go to university this year and get out of her clutches.
(edited 2 years ago)
Can't do what? I made multiple suggestions. Pick one. This is a total non issue. If this is really a cry for help because she is controlling and abusive in all aspects of your life, then say so. It's almost certainly not too late to go to university this year and get out of her clutches.

I mean I can't get my hair cut without her permission. I don't want to go to university this year. I never said that she's abusive and controlling.
Reply 14
I'm entirely financially dependent on her and don't even have my own bank account.

I think you might just have to play ball for now ngl. I don’t think your hair is worth all of that trouble. When you’re closer to going to university, cut it however you like. Or maybe lie and say that you asked them to leave your length alone but they went and cut it more by mistake?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by j25_8
I think you might just have to play ball for now ngl. I don’t think your hair is worth all of that trouble. When you’re closer to going to university, cut it however you like. Or maybe lie and say that you asked them to leave your length alone but they went and cut it more by mistake?

I can't lie, she's giving me a lift there and going with me.

Quick Reply

Latest