The Student Room Group
Graduation
Arts University Bournemouth
Poole
Visit website

VFX

Hi, I’ve got an offer on VFX for TV and Film, anyone else doing this course?
Original post by Olliebobs
Hi, I’ve got an offer on VFX for TV and Film, anyone else doing this course?

Allegedly a ****tonne of people dropped out in first year so maybe give it a miss mate 👍
Graduation
Arts University Bournemouth
Poole
Visit website
The official government stats don’t show a high drop out rate
https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10000385/BAVFX/Full-time/
83B9BBE7-712F-4DA2-B269-E539D64B12F9.jpeg
Original post by PQ
The official government stats don’t show a high drop out rate
https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10000385/BAVFX/Full-time/
83B9BBE7-712F-4DA2-B269-E539D64B12F9.jpeg

I am in the second year at AUB. I would take the official statistics with caution as they only survey a small number of students.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I am in the second year at AUB. I would take the official statistics with caution as they only survey a small number of students.

Employment and NSS stats on discoveruni are based on surveys.

Entry and continuation stats are based on statuatory returns covering all students. Universities are legally obligated to return accurate data to the funding bodies and government for these purposes and are subject to high fines and removal of degree awarding powers if their data is inaccurate.

That data isn’t a selective survey it’s the actual number of first years who continued on their course after a year.

I suspect your unhappy experiences mean that you’re over estimating drop outs because you’re selectively speaking to other unhappy students.
Reply 5
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Allegedly a ****tonne of people dropped out in first year so maybe give it a miss mate 👍

Well I’ve already accepted the place, so suppose I’ll have to take my chances 😉 Looking at the stats it says 95% of students are still on the course after a year.
Well I’ve already accepted the place, so suppose I’ll have to take my chances 😉 Looking at the stats it says 95% of students are still on the course after a year.

I think you may be making a mistake but good luck anyway.
Original post by PQ
Employment and NSS stats on discoveruni are based on surveys.

Entry and continuation stats are based on statuatory returns covering all students. Universities are legally obligated to return accurate data to the funding bodies and government for these purposes and are subject to high fines and removal of degree awarding powers if their data is inaccurate.

That data isn’t a selective survey it’s the actual number of first years who continued on their course after a year.

I suspect your unhappy experiences mean that you’re over estimating drop outs because you’re selectively speaking to other unhappy students.

Maybe but I’m actually at AUB so I think I have more experience than some survey! I’m surprise that 95% stayed on from 2020 - 2021, especially due to having no in person teaching due to COVID. It definitely wasn’t like that on my course!
(edited 2 years ago)

It’s a small course 20-25 students a year looking at the stats. So it might be tricky finding other applicants/students.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
It’s a small course 20-25 students a year looking at the stats. So it might be tricky finding other applicants/students.

That’s one of the reasons I chose it. It also came highly recommended by Herts Uni, one of the best for VFX around the London / East of England area.
Reply 9

hey just wanted to know how are you finding the course? i’m thinking about my offer for it :smile:
Original post by imy05
hey just wanted to know how are you finding the course? i’m thinking about my offer for it :smile:

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer!

For a student perspective of the course, we'd recommend checking out this article written by one of our recent VFX graduates, Pablo Oliver (https://aub.ac.uk/latest/pablo-oliver-attending-aub-was-an-essential-part-of-my-career-in-vfx). Pablo talks about his time as a student and the films he's worked on since graduating including Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part 1.

There's a section that really sums up what's important for us at AUB getting our students ready for the creative industry and their future careers, as well as the importance of the technical and artistic elements of their practice:
"It was what I learned about the behind-the-scenes side and the VFX pipeline that have helped me to navigate the industry [...] these would prove to be invaluable following my graduation as while my artistic skills may be up to par, it was my knowledge of the industry and portfolio that sealed the deal for getting the role I desired."

If you'd like a to hear directly from a current student or member of staff, we can put you in touch with our VFX course team, or answer any questions you might have over here. More than anything we'd recommend coming along to an Offer Holder Day (on 12 and 19 April) to really get a feel for our campus and learn more about the course/people you'll be studying with.

Many thanks and hopefully see you soon,
AUB ☀️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending