The Student Room Group

demographic info for dissertation

my supervisor told me that I won't need to collect demographic info like age and gender to put in the results section of my quantitative research, for my psychology dissertation, but I've seen that every research paper has it? I already collected all my participants so I'm panicking, will I be marked down for not including that information?
Hi, I have never heard about not collecting demographics. In every lab report I've written, I am currently in 2nd year, I have included at least the mean age, and the frequencies of the genders. Depending on your dissertation topic, you might not need it but it is always included, as far as I know. I would suggest including some nice APA style table or graph so they don’t mark you down too much by not including the demographics. Hope this helps.
Original post by rayamohammed
my supervisor told me that I won't need to collect demographic info like age and gender to put in the results section of my quantitative research, for my psychology dissertation, but I've seen that every research paper has it? I already collected all my participants so I'm panicking, will I be marked down for not including that information?

Hi @rayamohammed,

Although I think it's always a good idea to collect demographic info, I definitely don't think you should panic! I'd suggest going back to your supervisor and having another conversation about it. Then in your participants section, explain the rationale as to why you didn't collect the demographic information!

Hopefully this helps!
All the best :smile:

-Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending