The Student Room Group

Dissertation topic help

Hi
I’m struggling to pick my dissertation topic. I wanna do something on income inequality but it’s such a heavily researched topic and I’m not sure what I can further research about it. I talked to my supervisor about not knowing that exactly I want to look at about inequality and he just said I can’t help you with that you just have to pick something you’re interested in.
Can anyone give me any advice ?
Thanks
Reply 1
As a supervisor myself I would also say that you need to narrow down the field. I don't know what subject area you are working in but presume social sciences.
In terms of personal interest, are you a member of a social group/community that might be a suitable focus?
You can narrow down the field in a number of ways

location - what country, area of a country might you look at

timeframe - are you looking at now or something historical, or even a comparative study

people - what social groups are you interested in looking at.

(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by StressedDucks
Hi
I’m struggling to pick my dissertation topic. I wanna do something on income inequality but it’s such a heavily researched topic and I’m not sure what I can further research about it. I talked to my supervisor about not knowing that exactly I want to look at about inequality and he just said I can’t help you with that you just have to pick something you’re interested in.
Can anyone give me any advice ?
Thanks

Hi @StressedDucks

I had a similar struggle earlier in the year, but what I found was a good way to think about it was you need to find a niche. So you’re interested in income inequality, but yes, this is such a large topic. What specifically interests you about this? Income inequality BETWEEN certain groups of people, like men and women? Or between students of different socioeconomic backgrounds?

So you have a broader topic but you narrow it down to income inequality within a specific demographic.

I hope that makes sense! 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Reply 3
Original post by cheadle
As a supervisor myself I would also say that you need to narrow down the field. I don't know what subject area you are working in but presume social sciences.
In terms of personal interest, are you a member of a social group/community that might be a suitable focus?
You can narrow down the field in a number of ways

location - what country, area of a country might you look at

timeframe - are you looking at now or something historical, or even a comparative study

people - what social groups are you interested in looking at.

Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @StressedDucks

I had a similar struggle earlier in the year, but what I found was a good way to think about it was you need to find a niche. So you’re interested in income inequality, but yes, this is such a large topic. What specifically interests you about this? Income inequality BETWEEN certain groups of people, like men and women? Or between students of different socioeconomic backgrounds?

So you have a broader topic but you narrow it down to income inequality within a specific demographic.

I hope that makes sense! 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending