The Student Room Group

Help with GCSE'S

My son has done his 2nd lot of mocks and very upset that he hadn't met his target grades. The school mocks are crammed into 1 week, which I think can be quite stressful. I'm after some advice, have students found mocks harder than their GCSE's. He revises pretty much every day and is such a stressful for all. Was just after any help/feedback from any students. Thank you
Mocks aren't harder than GCSEs as they are literally using past papers.

Saying that, those extra few weeks between mocks and the real thing gives extra time to revise, so you son still has time to bump up a grade if he revises really well.

Be careful he doesn't burn out though.

Make sure your son is doing active revision - testing himself, using flash cards, practice questions, and so on, not just sitting passively reading textbooks.

Also make sure he is targeting the areas he is weakest at, rather than just going over his strongest areas because he feels comfortable with those, but at the same time check every now and again that his strongest areas are still solidly in his mind.
First of all, having all your exams in one week isn't super fair and not at all a pleasant experience I imagine. In terms of doing better/worse in real exams I find that it really depends on the student, just ensure he can deal with exam conditions. Also don't put too much pressure on him, they're just GCSEs - it's not the end of the world if he doesn't do perfectly
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Mocks aren't harder than GCSEs as they are literally using past papers.

Saying that, those extra few weeks between mocks and the real thing gives extra time to revise, so you son still has time to bump up a grade if he revises really well.

Be careful he doesn't burn out though.

Make sure your son is doing active revision - testing himself, using flash cards, practice questions, and so on, not just sitting passively reading textbooks.

Also make sure he is targeting the areas he is weakest at, rather than just going over his strongest areas because he feels comfortable with those, but at the same time check every now and again that his strongest areas are still solidly in his mind.

I agree, I would say that your son should make sure he takes regular breaks, I used to follow a 40min work, 10min break split with 1hr lunch and 1hr dinner break. I learn better with pictures so I'd always try to convert my notes into memorable images (pretty much the first thing that came into my head) and stick bullet point sheets around the house so that I could test myself whenever I saw one. Get into a good habit now as it'll help at A-levels and especially uni when you're most likely on your own and away from home.

Quick Reply

Latest