The Student Room Group

Igcse medicine

I'm a student in y9 and i want to study medicine but I don't know what subjects to take like I know I need English math and the 3 sciences but do I need second language English or first? and I supposedly need 10 subjects so what are good options
Reply 1
Original post by xan_1
I'm a student in y9 and i want to study medicine but I don't know what subjects to take like I know I need English math and the 3 sciences but do I need second language English or first? and I supposedly need 10 subjects so what are good options

I mean after the math, 3 sciences and English language here's noting else that is of much benefit to medicine itself, everything else you should choose base off what you enjoy and what you're good at as with GCSE's the grades you get are more important than the subjects themselves you take. Most secondary schools however will recommend you take at least 1 language and 1 humanity as this broadens the skills you learn as they're different subjects with different learning approaches and ways of being examined. I personally did 3 sciences, math, english literature and language, latin, Religious studies, history, spanish and drama so I did 11 total. I loved all the ones i did sans history - i loved parts of it I'm just not an essay kinda girl haha.

So yeah I'd say to choose what you enjoy and are good at because remember it's 2 years and will shape what A-Levels you can do.
Original post by xan_1

yeah i agree - don't worry too much at this stage. I did double science and still got into medical school. do subjects you enjoy, as you are more likely to get higher grades, which will benefit your applications (in my personal experience, the grades matter more than the actual subjects). It's only when you get to a-level that you need to be more selective with what subjects you pick (generally bio and chem are the needed ones, with some unis favouring maths). good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending