The Student Room Group

Economics A-level AQA question help

Extract F (line 1) states ‘In most of the UK, reducing the budget deficit has focused on austerity rather than tax rises.’
Using the data in the extracts and your knowledge of economics, evaluate the view that there is a strong case for significant increases in UK income tax rates.

I don’t really understand the question and what points would you make ?

I can generally explain fiscal policy and the pros and cons of income tax etc but I don’t know what the question is asking me to write about
Reply 1
No one wants to help me a struggling yr13 eco student 🥺
Reply 2
The question is asking you to evaluate the effects of a rise in income tax in the UK as a way to reduce the budget deficit.
This can include the effects on the budget deficit, AD and SRAS / LRAS.

Evaluate simply means to judge a statement by giving both sides of an argument.

For instance, you can argue that a rise in income tax can reduce the budget deficit - this is a good thing as it can reduce the crowding out effect. However, a rise in income tax can lead to a reduction in consumption leading to a fall in demand for goods and services - as the demand for labour is derived from the demand from goods and services, employment will fall, etc.

Tip - Use the mark scheme. This is not cheating. Use the mark scheme to help you build points to evaluate on. At the same time, check the examiners report - the examiner reports on how the student have answered the question and sometimes provide a common error students would often do when answering question.
Reply 3
Original post by KH29
The question is asking you to evaluate the effects of a rise in income tax in the UK as a way to reduce the budget deficit.
This can include the effects on the budget deficit, AD and SRAS / LRAS.

Evaluate simply means to judge a statement by giving both sides of an argument.

For instance, you can argue that a rise in income tax can reduce the budget deficit - this is a good thing as it can reduce the crowding out effect. However, a rise in income tax can lead to a reduction in consumption leading to a fall in demand for goods and services - as the demand for labour is derived from the demand from goods and services, employment will fall, etc.

Tip - Use the mark scheme. This is not cheating. Use the mark scheme to help you build points to evaluate on. At the same time, check the examiners report - the examiner reports on how the student have answered the question and sometimes provide a common error students would often do when answering question.

Thank youuuu this was very helpful and I will start checking out the examiner reports

Quick Reply

Latest