The Student Room Group

Is it impossible to be accepted for a PGDE with no classroom experience?

I've recently applied for a PGDE as I plan on becoming a secondary school history teacher and am just finishing off my UG degree but since I have spent the last year doing my dissertation, I have not had the time to apply for placements in the classroom or tutor high school history students. Will this count against me even if I have a good grade graduating? Will I likely be rejected based on this, and if I am should I spend the next year trying to get some work experience in a school and tutor some kids as well? I would rather have two consecutive years studying and I don't think I want a year of getting experience, I'd rather just go straight into my masters this autumn but I think it is very unlikely I'll be accepted no matter how good my grades based on lack of experience? Should I prepare for postponing my masters for another year on the likelihood I'll be rejected on the basis of lack of experience?
Reply 1
Original post by InterestingDoubt
I've recently applied for a PGDE as I plan on becoming a secondary school history teacher and am just finishing off my UG degree but since I have spent the last year doing my dissertation, I have not had the time to apply for placements in the classroom or tutor high school history students. Will this count against me even if I have a good grade graduating? Will I likely be rejected based on this, and if I am should I spend the next year trying to get some work experience in a school and tutor some kids as well? I would rather have two consecutive years studying and I don't think I want a year of getting experience, I'd rather just go straight into my masters this autumn but I think it is very unlikely I'll be accepted no matter how good my grades based on lack of experience? Should I prepare for postponing my masters for another year on the likelihood I'll be rejected on the basis of lack of experience?

Very much depends on the universities you’ve applied to. Some will expect you to have at least had some experience with children (but not necessarily school based,) some won’t. In reality you would have found it difficult to get experience over the last couple of years as even students who were already doing their PGDE’s missed placements/had them reduced due to school buildings being closed to all but key workers and vulnerable children. Have you worked with young people in another capacity? Perhaps volunteering in Brownies, Guides or at a local youth club or similar?
Original post by InterestingDoubt

Hi @InterestingDoubt,

It is great to hear that you are looking to study a PGCE to become a secondary history teacher.

I would certainly encourage you to contact universities directly to enquire what they would look for, as entry criteria can change between different universities.

We don't currently look for work experience as part of the entry criteria. We understand it can be difficult for students to gain some experience particularly these past few years. Further information about our course can be found here on our website.

Any experience of working with children and young people would be really valuable in any capacity, even if this isn't in an educational setting. Assisting at Brownies, Guides or at a Youth club like LAMummy has suggested are great examples of relevant experience.

There could be other ways to strengthen your application. Undertaking some wider research in to the role of a teacher to gain further understand can be really valuable. For example you could:
•Chat to someone who is a teacher to gain further insight in to their job,
Familiarise yourself with the Teachers’ Standards and what they demand of you as a trainee teacher
•Familiarise yourself with the National Curriculum for your subject. The current curriculum can be found of the Government website here.
•Regularly consult the educational press (such as the Times Educational Supplement website, The Guardian, The Independent), to develop your understanding of current issues and events

I hope this helps and good luck!

Pippa
Course Enquiries Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending