The Student Room Group

Work Experience on surveying

I am in Year 12 and wants to study Quantity Surveying in university. I am looking for work experience in summer. Does anybody know which company offers summer recruitment?
Original post by mccw
I am in Year 12 and wants to study Quantity Surveying in university. I am looking for work experience in summer. Does anybody know which company offers summer recruitment?

Hi there.

I think this is an area where work experience isn't required so don't worry. @artful_lounger can I add this to the list of non- essential WE sectors if I'm advising correctly? :biggrin:

Best wishes :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Thanks. How can I gain knowledge of this industry before application? I want to see if that's really suits me.
Original post by mccw
Thanks. How can I gain knowledge of this industry before application? I want to see if that's really suits me.

I'm not too sure however I would research career pathways (entry requirements, course lengths etc.), look at what's involved in the job description and perhaps look for online courses.

The user I've tagged above may be able to advise further :smile:
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

I think this is an area where work experience isn't required so don't worry. @artful_lounger can I add this to the list of non- essential WE sectors if I'm advising correctly? :biggrin:

Best wishes :smile:

Honestly the only fields I know of that expect any work experience are healthcare subjects. I don't think any others require or even expect any!

Original post by mccw

As above it's not necessary from an admissions point of view. Practically it may be useful in confirming your interest but I'm not sure where you could get any relevant work experience of the specific role, as opposed to more general experience in the real estate/built environment sector. Your best bet would probably be checking local businesses who hire QSs. Otherwise I guess just, general research of the field on the internet etc (this may not be applicable to your PS of course).
Original post by artful_lounger
Honestly the only fields I know of that expect any work experience are healthcare subjects. I don't think any others require or even expect any!

As above it's not necessary from an admissions point of view. Practically it may be useful in confirming your interest but I'm not sure where you could get any relevant work experience of the specific role, as opposed to more general experience in the real estate/built environment sector. Your best bet would probably be checking local businesses who hire QSs. Otherwise I guess just, general research of the field on the internet etc (this may not be applicable to your PS of course).

PRSOM.

Noted - thanks! :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks. May look for some virtual experience of the industry in general. Hope this helps my PS to stand out.
Which uni is best for QS?
Original post by mccw

Stating the obvious but send an email (with a CV if you have one) to as many QS practices and medium to large sized contractors in your area asking for work experience. If you can drive already mention this as it will help. The more you contact the more likely you are to get a positive response. If you are not shy, call them up and ask for the email address of the best person to contact directly and ask if that person happens to be in the office and free for a 2 minute chat at the time. Have a list of about 5 things you want to get across in a short list in case you lose confidence and get flustered. Frame it around what you can do for them rather than what you want out of it. QS is a great profession and the working/day release path is also an option to consider as there are pros and cons to both. I would take a good 22 year old with 4 years' QS experience over a good grad with no experience any day of the week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending