The Student Room Group

Still deciding potential uni courses

I'm a STEM student in Year 12 and I really want to do a course that has biology and chemistry (mainly chemistry) and im not sure which course would be the best for that.
I have to complete a UCAS reference form for my science teachers for Wednesday and I just need some help deciding (not actually making the decision) but kinda give me some info bc I've searched so many courses and none of my research is helping.
Hi, i know there's biochemistry if you'd be interested in that.
Neurochemistry,
Forensic Science,
Biomedical Science also has a mix of chemistry involving biochemistry in some unis.
Or if you really want to do chemistry you could literally just do chemistry itself at uni.

Hope this helps.
y
Original post by Christabel.
Hi, i know there's biochemistry if you'd be interested in that.
Neurochemistry,
Forensic Science,
Biomedical Science also has a mix of chemistry involving biochemistry in some unis.
Or if you really want to do chemistry you could literally just do chemistry itself at uni.

Hope this helps.

yeah, but I noticed a correlation of a heavy side of biology in biomedical and biochemistry.
I kinda want to keep my options open bc I want to be a (bio)medical scientist but then there's the lingering thought of being a chemistry teacher because I really love organic chemistry especially IR spec and mass spec (I know it sounds odd but it really is my favourite part of chemistry)
Note that biochemistry degrees in the UK are functionally degrees in molecular/cell biology, not in (biological) chemistry. If you are mainly interested in chemistry, you should do a chemistry degree or something related to that like chemical physics or materials science.
Chemistry for Drug Discovery
Pharmacology
Pharmacy
Medicinal Chemistry
Natural Sciences
Chemistry with ..... (Management, Education, Computing etc)
History and Philosophy of Science
Science Communication
Law
Original post by JA03
I'm a STEM student in Year 12 and I really want to do a course that has biology and chemistry (mainly chemistry) and im not sure which course would be the best for that.
I have to complete a UCAS reference form for my science teachers for Wednesday and I just need some help deciding (not actually making the decision) but kinda give me some info bc I've searched so many courses and none of my research is helping.

Im in exactly the same boat, I’m thinking of doing medicinal chemistry mainly and I’m looking at biochem but it seems to be heavily biology based with very little chemistry, I prefer chemistry but I don’t do alevel maths which limits my options, maybe look into natural sciences, you can basically pick what you want to do within the three sciences.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JA03

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year natural sciences student at Nottingham.

The course works slightly differently at each uni but at Nottingham you take 3 subjects in first year and then drop to 2 in second and third year.
The subjects you can take that you need the a levels for are:
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
The subjects you dont need the a level for are
psychology (need biology)
caner science (need biology)
earth science
ecosystems and environment
archaeology

I have left a link so you can have a look through if it sounds like something you would be interested in but if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily :smile:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/naturalsciences/
Original post by JA03

Hi
If you are interested in Chemistry, biology or any other sciences you should look at different courses you could study at Heriot-Watt! Not only are we highly recommended for many science related courses, we also sit in the top 10 for the Uk in Chemical Engineering if that would interest you.

https://www.hw.ac.uk

Matthew

Quick Reply

Latest