The Student Room Group

Help me, my parents won’t let me go to uni early

I want to go to uni at 16 so i’ll begin in september 2024. The problem is my parents said i can’t go unless it’s in my city. I don’t have to financially rely on them at all because of the government giving me a bursary and grant every year. What do i say or tell them?? Should i talk to my school?? (none of this is officially confirmed and the deadline for ucas applications is the end of January, so i have to decide quick)
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ieueteieieus
I want to go to uni at 16 so i’ll begin in september 2024. The problem is my parents said i can’t go unless it’s in my city. I don’t have to financially rely on them at all because of the government giving me a bursary and grant every year. What do i say or tell them?? Should i talk to my school?? (none of this is officially confirmed and the deadline for ucas applications is the end of January, so i have to decide quick)

Have you checked with your potential uni also? A lot dont take under 18s unless they are near their 18th birthday.

Greg
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
Have you checked with your potential uni also? A lot dont take under 18s unless they are near their 18th birthday.

Greg

yeah, i’ve checked and went over everything with my school and other people who have experience with my course/were the same age started uni
Reply 3
In this country?
To be honest although it is possible if the Uni accepts you, often a younger student would require a chaperone.
Ruth Lawrence is a famous case, joining Oxford at 12 and graduating in two years. Her father went with her, attending lectures. Obviously 16 is different but still, someone closer to 18 is way more normal

There are legal implications with signing contracts at 16
Reply 4
Original post by domonict
In this country?
To be honest although it is possible if the Uni accepts you, often a younger student would require a chaperone.
Ruth Lawrence is a famous case, joining Oxford at 12 and graduating in two years. Her father went with her, attending lectures. Obviously 16 is different but still, someone closer to 18 is way more normal

There are legal implications with signing contracts at 16

i’ll be 16, i don’t require a chaperone lmao
Reply 5
Original post by ieueteieieus
i’ll be 16, i don’t require a chaperone lmao

That's a decision for the university to make, not you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending