The Student Room Group

Subject Choices

This year i’m studing 5 highers which currently are maths, english, human biology, modern studies and chemistry. I got straight As in my nat 5s but recently found out my bands. I found out I got A band 1 in english, modern studies and Spanish and band 2 in my other subjects. I am now considering dropping higher chemistry and doing higher Spanish instead since I feel I might have a better chance at getting an A in Spanish. I’ve also been looking at uni courses and am definitely leaning more towards english based subjects so i feel Spanish might look better on uni applications than chemistry as it applies more to that kind of course but i’m still very unsure. If anyone would be able to offer any advice to help me make a decision that would be amazing.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by cisla7
This year i’m studing 5 highers which currently are maths, english, human biology, modern studies and chemistry. I got straight As in my nat 5s but recently found out my bands. I found out I got A band 1 in english, modern studies and Spanish and band 2 in my other subjects. I am now considering dropping higher chemistry and doing higher Spanish instead since I feel I might have a better chance at getting an A in Spanish. I’ve also been looking at uni courses and am definitely leaning more towards english based subjects so i feel Spanish might look better on uni applications than chemistry as it applies more to that kind of course but i’m still very unsure. If anyone would be able to offer any advice to help me make a decision that would be amazing.

I'm assuming your Scottish due to the national 5s? I'm not quite sure how the system in Scotland works but I assume it is similar? I'm currently doing gcse so u can take my advice or leave depending if it's helpful.

As you mentioned for you it seems spanish is better than Chem, due to the course you want to take. See and do some research and look at potential unis you are interested and check their entry requirements.

It seems as you are leaning more to English, it may be better to drop chemistry as its science and kind of nothing to do with English. I'm not sure what course you want to do so double check first!

Don't overload yourself with work and don't get burn out! Do you enjoy chemistry or not? That's a way to see if you should keep that subject or not

Best of luck on deciding!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending