The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In my mind (and I know this is only my opinion and isn't based on much, it's just what springs to mind lol) it reminds me of those really 'blokey' english guys that really irritate me who drink with their mates and try to get away from their gfs cos they're annoying and naggy. (again, not based on anything, just what the word 'bird' reminds me of :p: )
kklol
i know! It's just a term. And although not everyone is familiar with it depending on where they come from i don't understand how it can be construed as offensive :s-smilie:

On tsr when i've called girls birds they've got really offended. You'd think i'd said ''you're a woman. you are rubbish'' the way they reacted to it. IT'S JUST A TERM

or am i missing something?

Yes you are missing something, the fact that we aren't actually girls.
Reply 82
sleekchic
Yes you are missing something, the fact that we aren't actually girls.

I would refer to any female under 25 as a girl and any male under 25 as a guy. Above that age man and woman.
Elipsis
.. why not rule out anyone who uses bloke, geeza, lad, luv, duck, mate etc while you're at it. I mean how uptight can a bitch be ffs!

yeah i have ruled them out. cant say ive come across many people that use those terms anyway. i dont see what they add or the point of using them, why does anyone even need to say them? its just laziness.
Elipsis
I would refer to any female under 25 as a girl and any male under 25 as a guy. Above that age man and woman.

well i categorically don't see myself as a 'girl' and i imagine doctors, lawyers, vets, and bankers my age wouldn't expect people to refer to them essentially as children either.
Pretty much every female I have ever met has been offended by the term 'bird'. And I've lived all over the country in many different areas.
Reply 86
vapid slut magician
yeah i have ruled them out. cant say ive come across many people that use those terms anyway. i dont see what they add or the point of using them, why does anyone even need to say them? its just laziness.

Woah, you'd rule out bieng friends with people who say bloke or mate? Uptight indeed! As for the term bird, I don't really use it but people I know who use it don't use it as a name for a girl but use it to refer to a girl they usually don't know, ie "that bird in the corner".
Reply 87
kklol
well i get the term from my dad and he certainly isn't a chav. i think you're in denial girl

Right, so just because you think your dad isn't a chav, that means that I'm in denial. :rolleyes:

If you have bothered to read through your own thread, you'll see that many people have posted about the fact that they, along with many others, do not like the term "bird" in reference to a girl because it sounds cheap. What more do you want?

The whole chav thing is just my view of it because the only people that I know who use that term are chavs.
It's just annoying.
Never liked it, never will.
Reply 89
Poshtotty
Right, so just because you think your dad isn't a chav, that means that I'm in denial. :rolleyes:

If you have bothered to read through your own thread, you'll see that many people have posted about the fact that they, along with many others, do not like the term "bird" in reference to a girl because it sounds cheap. What more do you want?

The whole chav thing is just my view of it because the only people that I know who use that term are chavs.

assume you're right and it is a chav term. How does that make it sexist?
Sounds a bit patronising. Why don't you just refer to us by our names?????
Just like I hate the terms 'babe', 'the missus', 'chick', 'love', 'darlin'' etc etc
Reply 91
ok this is probably the real reason.
you don't need to know how old i am, or my sex or anything like that.
all you need to know is this: the term is fine.
20 years ago.
IT HAS GONE OUT OF FASHION.
that is the ONLY reason girls do not like it. nothing to do with animals or stuff - they are nice animals anyway. its just that now we have moved on to calling our girls whores, bitches, hoes. discraceful!!
kklol
How come? As far as i can tell, it carries no intentional sexist connotations and in no way demeans women's abilities. It is just an affection term for women. I've always used it personally but on tsr i've noticed a lot of you don't like it. What is your reasoning?

Who are you? Bill Oddie or sumthin?
Sprockette
it reminds me of those really 'blokey' english guys that really irritate me who drink with their mates

The guys who put on a really blokey personality to impress their mates really really irritate me. The kind of guys who you meet at the pub who think they're 'Jack the lad'

This thread reminds me of Sid the Sexist:

Its trampy and makes me think of disgusting men sat in pubs talking about women in demeaning ways. It isnt affectionate and is usually used in sexist ways. Its just not nice to be refered to as a
i say birds to mates or when im talking about a random female particularly one i cant stand the bones off
why is a 2008 thread getting bumped :colonhash:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
why is a 2008 thread getting bumped :colonhash:

:eek:
Original post by Soph02020
Its trampy and makes me think of disgusting men sat in pubs talking about women in demeaning ways. It isnt affectionate and is usually used in sexist ways. Its just not nice to be refered to as a

you eejit! :angry: lol
Original post by Bang Outta Order
:eek:

smh u should know better :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending