The Student Room Group

Changing student accommodation.

Alright so I was foolish and went with the first uni accommodation that was shown to me on open day. Signed the contract and a while later find out there are much better options. My mistake of course however when I called the university to see if there is an exit fee I can pay to void the contract I am told the only way out is to find a replacement.

This seems very odd to me and I don't really know why this is the only option to switch. If anyone has experience with this I would love some advice or insight. Uni in question is Southampton and accommodation being their own.
@Tempviewg

This is a common thing with student accommodation. Once you have signed and after a set period of time you can no longer withdraw from the property unless you pay for the year or find a replacement.

There is the possibility that they might be able to find someone else to replace you, but remember: a bird in the hand is worth two in a bush. There is no guarantee that you could withdraw from this student accommodation and still get your ideal place, so though it might not be perfect it might be worth hanging on to.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Tempviewg
Alright so I was foolish and went with the first uni accommodation that was shown to me on open day. Signed the contract and a while later find out there are much better options. My mistake of course however when I called the university to see if there is an exit fee I can pay to void the contract I am told the only way out is to find a replacement.

This seems very odd to me and I don't really know why this is the only option to switch. If anyone has experience with this I would love some advice or insight. Uni in question is Southampton and accommodation being their own.

Hi!

If you are set on finding alternative accommodation (make sure to check your preferred accommodation is available first!) a good way to find a replacement for the room is to advertise the room on Facebook groups. Just searching your uni on Facebook should bring up a few different groups you could post on. There may also be some more general housing groups for your area which may be useful.

I hope this helps!
Florence (Lancaster University student ambassador)
Original post by Tempviewg

Hi there,
This is actually very common. Somebody from Uni of Southampton may be able to provide more specific advice. Usually, unless you have other grounds to cancel (I would definitely suggest checking the cancellation policy of the accommodation you've applied for), the accommodation will expect you to find a replacement tenant. Sometimes they will have existing waiting lists of students or, if you ask, may be able to assist in finding a replacement. Otherwise, posting on forums like this one or social media is often a good way to go.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending