The Student Room Group

girls answer this

what is the difference between getting called hot and gorgeous. i don't know like I think getting called hot is a bigger compliment than being called beautiful. it's just I always see girls overthinking and getting called hot by a boy and not gorgeous. What what's the difference you guys find? i always switch it up sometimes I say you look hot and sometimes beautiful like I don't really think which word to choose.
Gorgeous often only applies to physical appearance.
While hot relates to a combination of attraction/sex appeal and good looks in terms of face & other body appearance.
I can't speak for everyone but ig hot is so correlated with sex appeal etc it might sound shallow ?? but if it's just a matter of switching up vocab what can you do really
do guys think hot = beautiful?
Reply 3
To me saying someone is hot, means bodywise..sexual/ physicall attraction.

Pretty, beautiful..face, wholesome.

I think gorgeous is the whole package.
(edited 1 year ago)
beautiful definitely seems more meaningful to most girls and like you actually mean the compliment and are not just complimenting their looks. Hot is ok but sometimes it feel a bit sexualising and like you're just commenting on a girls body because you like it, not because you like the girl herself. That might not be how you mean it but it's a very 'basic' compliment that doesn't seem to mean much
I think being called gorgeous has much more value to it
Original post by Anonymous
what is the difference between getting called hot and gorgeous. i don't know like I think getting called hot is a bigger compliment than being called beautiful. it's just I always see girls overthinking and getting called hot by a boy and not gorgeous. What what's the difference you guys find? i always switch it up sometimes I say you look hot and sometimes beautiful like I don't really think which word to choose.

Saying you look hot is like someone saying you are sexy but gorgeous usually people mean by it that you are beautiful
Original post by Sophie47
beautiful definitely seems more meaningful to most girls and like you actually mean the compliment and are not just complimenting their looks. Hot is ok but sometimes it feel a bit sexualising and like you're just commenting on a girls body because you like it, not because you like the girl herself. That might not be how you mean it but it's a very 'basic' compliment that doesn't seem to mean much

oh okay I understand but I feel like girls getting called beautiful or gorgeous are very common words and it might not really have an effect on girls because they are so used to getting called that and they might think I don't mean it. I don't know I feel like if I say someone beautiful it doesn't have much value to it, for example, a difference between saying I like you and I love you. it's quite hard to explain what I mean. btw I'm not saying the word hot has value to it lol.
oh okay I understand but I feel like girls getting called beautiful or gorgeous are very common words and it might not really have an effect on girls because they are so used to getting called that and they might think I don't mean it. I don't know I feel like if I say someone beautiful it doesn't have much value to it, for example, a difference between saying I like you and I love you. it's quite hard to explain what I mean. btw I'm not saying the word hot has value to it lol.

Yes girls do get called beautiful a lot from each other but getting called beautiful from a guy is totally different.. from experience

hot - often because of physical attraction - sex appeal like other said
gorgeous - physical attraction but not in in the way 'hot' is

but hot and gorgeous (imo) are cliche so some girls may not have an effect
all girls are different - like these words don't faze me and don't mean much to me.

I wouldn't say gorgeous or beautiful is that common, and it's very different from a guy than when it comes from a girl. I get what you mean that people do use those descriptors a lot so maybe find some synonyms instead for beautiful instead of 'hot'. I feel like interpretations of words are different for different genders but i think most girls prefer words like beautiful etc
Original post by JA03
hot - often because of physical attraction - sex appeal like other said
gorgeous - physical attraction but not in in the way 'hot' is

but hot and gorgeous (imo) are cliche so some girls may not have an effect
all girls are different - like these words don't faze me and don't mean much to me.

exactly my point the word is just so basic and like you said if I called you beautiful and would have really meant it you wouldn't really care and wouldn't know if I really meant it or it's just another common compliment. I feel like when someone says hot then that's a clear message that there is some attraction and it adds value even if it is sexual attraction.
exactly my point the word is just so basic and like you said if I called you beautiful and would have really meant it you wouldn't really care and wouldn't know if I really meant it or it's just another common compliment. I feel like when someone says hot then that's a clear message that there is some attraction and it adds value even if it is sexual attraction.

I feel like a lot of girls would be intrigued by a different word other than gorgeous and hot but when you're calling a girl hot, you're almost sending a message to her and that means a lot to some girls who may not get complimented so often.
I often think being called hot implies I am sweating profusely, so I feel compelled to wipe my brow just to check.

That probably makes some men think I am swooning over them.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Crazed cat lady
I often think being called hot implies I am sweating profusely, so I feel compelled to wipe my brow just to check.

That probably makes some men think I am swooning over them.

I love the literalness of this. you're my new favourite person now lol!
girls are just so confusing anyways ill give compliments in another language lol that way it will add value loool
hot = more body focus

gorgeous is face focus

That's why, if you call a girl beautiful or gorgeous, you could define why; that makes it clearer that you're actually paying attention to them and noticing things about them. Like sparkling eyes or a smile that lights up their face.

Or find a different way to compliment them by talking about their personality. My boyfriend tells me I'm gorgeous, but I also like it when he's said he loves my company, and how we can have great conversations from funny to serious.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hot basically means they find you sexually attractive and beautiful refers to general physical looks hope that helps x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending