The Student Room Group

I need to make a career choice ASAP

I don't know what I want. I am a science student, but I am doing ACCA an accounting course but I want to become a nurse or a doctor. Which do you think is better? Accounting or nursing? And which one have an higher pay, enough to take care of a family. Or just give me your suggestions. Thanks.
Original post by Dabized
I don't know what I want. I am a science student, but I am doing ACCA an accounting course but I want to become a nurse or a doctor. Which do you think is better? Accounting or nursing? And which one have an higher pay, enough to take care of a family. Or just give me your suggestions. Thanks.

As a registered nurse whose husband is also a registered nurse, I can assure you that financially we're absolutely fine - can afford the mortgage, bills, food, car, holidays etc (but then we don't have any children to worry about - however our colleagues with children either cope fine financially, or do bank/agency shifts to top up their incomes). On qualifying as a nurse, you start at the bottom of Agenda for Change band 5, currently £25,655 a year which works out at £13.12 an hour - then there's the unsocial hours pay for evenings/nights/weekends. ( https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/pay-scale-material-202223 )

Why are you considering nursing? There's so much more to it than the money.
Why are you considering medicine? There's so much more to it than the money.
Why are you considering accounting?
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_B
As a registered nurse whose husband is also a registered nurse, I can assure you that financially we're absolutely fine - can afford the mortgage, bills, food, car, holidays etc (but then we don't have any children to worry about - however our colleagues with children either cope fine financially, or do bank/agency shifts to top up their incomes). On qualifying as a nurse, you start at the bottom of Agenda for Change band 5, currently £25,655 a year which works out at £13.12 an hour - then there's the unsocial hours pay for evenings/nights/weekends. ( https://www.nhsemployers.org/articles/pay-scale-material-202223 )

Why are you considering nursing? There's so much more to it than the money.
Why are you considering medicine? There's so much more to it than the money.
Why are you considering accounting?

Oh wow. Thank you so much for this. I am considering accounting because that's why my sister wants for me. I am considering nursing or medicine because it's my passion. I love helping people, I love the challenges and I don't want a boring job where all I do is sit all day. I want something that's hands on and stuff like that. But then I hear about the disadvantages of nursing and if I would be able to cope with the stress and many other negative. And that kind of brought down my willingness to go into the field.

But now I want to try again and think if I can do it. So I don't know if I should stay in accounting or do nursing.
Original post by Dabized
Oh wow. Thank you so much for this. I am considering accounting because that's why my sister wants for me. I am considering nursing or medicine because it's my passion. I love helping people, I love the challenges and I don't want a boring job where all I do is sit all day. I want something that's hands on and stuff like that. But then I hear about the disadvantages of nursing and if I would be able to cope with the stress and many other negative. And that kind of brought down my willingness to go into the field.

But now I want to try again and think if I can do it. So I don't know if I should stay in accounting or do nursing.

"because my sister wants me to" isn't really a reason to stay in accounting - so it's good that you're considering other options if you're not that interested in staying in that area.

So, do you know the difference between being a nurse and being a doctor? Have you weighed up the advantages/disadvantages of both?
What disadvantages have you heard about nursing? I'll happily confirm any, or dispel any myths. There's certainly stress in medicine, too - but then there's stress in any job that holds responsibility.
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
"because my sister wants me to" isn't really a reason to stay in accounting - so it's good that you're considering other options if you're not that interested in staying in that area.

So, do you know the difference between being a nurse and being a doctor? Have you weighed up the advantages/disadvantages of both?
What disadvantages have you heard about nursing? I'll happily confirm any, or dispel any myths. There's certainly stress in medicine, too - but then there's stress in any job that holds responsibility.

I guess you are right. I was told that in nursing I would not have time to spend with my family or myself. No vacation either, and I will always be stressed.

They also said I would face really hard patients that could make me lose my licence.

Another said I would remain in a working class level and won't grow.

Another also said that nurses are not in high demand. I did my research and most of them seem to be false, but I needed to hear from a real nurse.
Original post by Dabized
I was told that in nursing I would not have time to spend with my family or myself.

Rubbish. I only work 3-4 shifts a week, have 3-4 off. Yes I have to do antisocial shifts - but that doesn't mean I don't see my family - in fact, I do. They just have to accept that I'm not going to have every weekend off.

Original post by Dabized
No vacation either, and I will always be stressed.

Rubbish. You get holiday entitlement, but whether you choose to use that for holidays or bank/agency shifts is your choice. I can also guarantee you that you won't be stressed at every moment of every day.

Original post by Dabized
They also said I would face really hard patients that could make me lose my licence.

Yes, you come across challenging patients. As long as you don't do anything stupid, and document absolutely everything, you do not loose your "licence" (NB: if you're in the USA, licence is the correct word. If you're in the UK, there is no such thing as a nursing licence - it's a registration).

Original post by Dabized
Another said I would remain in a working class level and won't grow.

Again, rubbish. Look at the NHS pay scales I gave the link for (or find alternative for whatever country.)

Original post by Dabized
Another also said that nurses are not in high demand. I did my research and most of them seem to be false, but I needed to hear from a real nurse.

Another person who's told you absolute rubbish. Nurses are in high demand across the whole world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending