The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's Interview for History!!

Hello guys,

I had a very pleasant surprise waiting for me when I got home this afternoon - an interview invite for History from King's! Apparently they interview 50% of candidates so I've got over the first hurdle at least! Phew. :smile:

Anyway, I was just wondering a) if anyone else has an interview and b) if anyone knows what format the King's interviews tend to take. I'm just interested in knowing what to expect!

Anyway, am very very happy and excited but also quite a bit nervous too!! :p:

Scroll to see replies

Congrats, hoping to get an interview myself.

Sorry if this comes off as a bit odd but where else did you apply/a brief profile of someone who got accepted?

I applied Oxford, LSE, Warwick, UCL and LSE
GCSEs: 8A*s 5As
A level predicted AAA (history, economics, english lit)
Thanks
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Hey, well done on getting an interview! Any chance you know who's interviewing you?
I'm a second year now but can tell you about my interview if you like?
please please please tell us about the interview....I have mine next Wednesday and I have no idea what to expect!
Well mine only lasted around 15 minutes, was with my personal tutor and Paul Reading who is now head of dept. They asked me what books I'd studied for my English Lit. A Level and when I said Pride and Prejudice they asked me a few questions about that. Examples would be 'Did Austen display feminist traits purposely or is that what modern readers have taken from her?', 'Why do you think Austen rarely mentions important events happening during the time her books were set? ie wars, and if she does only in a rose-tinted light?' and something about portrayals of masculinity/femininity. Then they asked me what I'd studied for my history A Level and asked me some pretty basic thematic questions about that. There was never any right or wrong answer, they seemed genuinely interested in what I thought about the things I'd studied, and both told me what they thought too. They asked what periods I'd like to study and why (Because I knew who was interviewing me I made sure I mentioned both of their subjects, which went down well, and I wasn't lying anyway!). That's about it, just asked me what attracted me to King's, what I do in my spare time and what I hope to achieve through a history degree.
It wasn't very formal or scary really, much better than I expected.
Reply 5
Sugar_Puff_Fairy
Hey, well done on getting an interview! Any chance you know who's interviewing you?
I'm a second year now but can tell you about my interview if you like?

Thanks for all the info. :smile: I'm afraid I don't know who's interviewing me, although conveniently I'm currently reading a book about Wellington, who I just found out founded KCL... a good omen I hope!!

They asked about English in a History interview? Oh dear. :s-smilie: Not that I dislike talking about English (I thought it was going to be degree subject until I saw the light two months ago... :p: ), but I'm in a History mindset right now! Although I suppose it would be quite fun to discuss all of the contextual stuff with Othello - brilliant play, one of my new favourite Shakespeare plays. :smile:

Cool, it sounds fun. I really am looking forward to it - have just booked my train tickets!! SPF, what sort of thing did you wear? Formal or a bit laid back? (I might have to wear thermals though if it gets much colder... :ninja: )

Anyone else got an interview/had one in the past? Btw for those who have an interview, what date are you going on? Mine's Wednesday 26th in the morning, might see you there!
HoVis
Thanks for all the info. :smile: I'm afraid I don't know who's interviewing me, although conveniently I'm currently reading a book about Wellington, who I just found out founded KCL... a good omen I hope!!

They asked about English in a History interview? Oh dear. :s-smilie: Not that I dislike talking about English (I thought it was going to be degree subject until I saw the light two months ago... :p: ), but I'm in a History mindset right now! Although I suppose it would be quite fun to discuss all of the contextual stuff with Othello - brilliant play, one of my new favourite Shakespeare plays. :smile:

Yeah they asked about English, but purely in a historical context, so don't worry about your mindset!
I wore black trousers, shoes and a smartish top but can't remember what it looked like. I do remember two people sat in the waiting room and one had a full blown suit w/tie etc while the other had baggy jeans, hoodie and trainers on! Don't stress too much over clothes, make sure you are presentable and smartish and you'll do fine!
Reply 7
hey there, I came home this afternoon myself to find an interview for weds 26th in the morning.
I expect my emotions are similar to yours, a mix of being excited and absolutely bricking it!!
Sugar Puff Fairy, what can you advise on preparing in advance?
wozza1991
hey there, I came home this afternoon myself to find an interview for weds 26th in the morning.
I expect my emotions are similar to yours, a mix of being excited and absolutely bricking it!!
Sugar Puff Fairy, what can you advise on preparing in advance?

Hey, congratulations!
I didn't prepare anything to be honest. They didn't ask difficult questions, they were all about my A Level syllabus so as long as you are clued up about what you are studying then you should be fine. Might be an idea to read through a book or two by a respected historian about the period you're studying/one you really like so if they ask 'what books have you read about it?' you can impress by going 'well I'm in the middle of blah de blah at the moment and think it's...'.
Good luck, any other questions, please feel free to ask.
Reply 9
Sugar_Puff_Fairy
Hey, congratulations!
I didn't prepare anything to be honest. They didn't ask difficult questions, they were all about my A Level syllabus so as long as you are clued up about what you are studying then you should be fine. Might be an idea to read through a book or two by a respected historian about the period you're studying/one you really like so if they ask 'what books have you read about it?' you can impress by going 'well I'm in the middle of blah de blah at the moment and think it's...'.
Good luck, any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Yeah i'm quite clued up on my A-level syllabus, i'd like to think so anyway!
Thanks very much
Reply 10
Congrats on getting the interview.

They will ask you whatever strikes them from your personal statement, it could be about your A-Levels or a subject that you may be personally interested in, etc. It's a pretty straightforward chat really.
Reply 11
Sijia
Congrats on getting the interview.

They will ask you whatever strikes them from your personal statement, it could be about your A-Levels or a subject that you may be personally interested in, etc. It's a pretty straightforward chat really.

Grand, sounds fun!!! Although from my PS we could end up on some weird conversations: "So, Miss Hollis, how does Ancient Egyptian history, Everest history and learning Chinese vaguely link together?" :rolleyes: I've come to the conclusion that my interests are something of an odd mix!!

I love London so much, it's brilliant to have an excuse to go there. Conveniently Wednesday is also the day when I have the least lessons as school so I don't have to feel guilty about missing too much school. :p:

P.S: Thanks for all the responses and info so far, and good luck to everyone else going for an interview!!
Reply 12
I haven't been offered an interview, but they haven't rejected me yet either.
But I'm assuming this is a rejection because everyone on this forum who has appleid to Kings seems to have had an itnerview :frown:
Don't worry mate, you're not alone. I haven't had one either.
Reply 14
rotor
I haven't been offered an interview, but they haven't rejected me yet either.
But I'm assuming this is a rejection because everyone on this forum who has appleid to Kings seems to have had an itnerview :frown:

Not necessarily :o: , when did u send ur ucas form?
Don't worry if you haven't been invited to interview yet, it doesn't mean you have been rejected. There are several interview dates before Christmas but the History dept. also interviews in late Jan/Feb usually. Don't assume anything until you know, this is just the first round of interviews. Besides, I have a few friends who were not interviewed for History and got a place.
Reply 16
wozza1991
Not necessarily :o: , when did u send ur ucas form?

Second week of October!
Reply 17
rotor
Second week of October!

I wouldn't worry, then - as people have said it is just the first round of interviews. I sent my UCAS form in on the 6th of October, so slightly before the first 'rush'; hopefully you'll get an interview for January (actually I was quite surprised to get an interview in November, as I had thought they were all in January for History at King's...)

Anyway, no news is good news (as I keep telling myself about Oxford, St Andrew's and Edinburgh!!), keep your chin up. :smile:
Reply 18
The King's website suggests that they ask the applicants for a suitable topic and then they are questioned on this.
What is the likelihood of this acutally turning out to be the case. Also, whilst discussing this with a mate, I told him how I would suggest Charles I related stuff, and he said "what if they want you to talk about something you havent studied in school"
In a long winded way, I'm also asking if it matters if what you chose to discuss is something you've studied within school?
Reply 19
wozza1991
The King's website suggests that they ask the applicants for a suitable topic and then they are questioned on this.
What is the likelihood of this acutally turning out to be the case. Also, whilst discussing this with a mate, I told him how I would suggest Charles I related stuff, and he said "what if they want you to talk about something you havent studied in school"
In a long winded way, I'm also asking if it matters if what you chose to discuss is something you've studied within school?

I hope not!! Have you expressed an interest in Charles I in your PS? Cos if I had a choice I'd want to discuss either the First Emperor or Everest history, both of which I mentioned in my PS, so hopefully the discussion could lead into that...

On the other hand I'm sure that after two years of it I could probably come up with a thing or two to say about Stalin though. :rolleyes: Just as long as they don't ask about Mussolini!! :eek:

Latest