The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2023 entry - discussion thread

Are you applying or thinking of applying for Law for 2023 entry?
Then this is the place to be!

This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process.

Here are some icebreaker questions to get started with:

What specific course you are applying for:
What universities you are thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
Are you taking LNAT?

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile:

Thanks for making this thread!

What specific course you are applying for: LLB
What universities you are thinking of: Exeter, Durham, Cambridge (still not sure about other two)
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: Already achieved A*A*, and will be predicted an A*/A for A level politics
GCSE grades: 88876655, and a Distinction in a level 2 Btec
Extra curriculars: Pathways to Law, SMBPs law reach programme, visit to local courts, work experience with 2 law firms, read a couple of law-related books
Are you taking LNAT? Yes
Hey, I'm applying for law!

What universities you are thinking of: UCL, KCL, Durham, QMUL, and one other which I'm not sure to put down as a safety or another high ranking university
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: A*A*A*
GCSE grades: 999999888888
Extra curriculars: I'm going to put down work experiences instead because I have more of that: Clifford Chance ACCESS, Allen & Overy Smart Applications, Osborne Clarke insight into legal skills, Surrey virtual summer school, YP's events, some reading (and no, I didn't even include half of this in my personal statement)
Are you taking LNAT? Yes, this is the only obstacle between me and a decent university and I've got 24/42 in my first practice test so that's not good (will update this post after doing my second test)
Original post by toxicgamage56

What universities you are thinking of: UCL, KCL, Durham, QMUL, and one other which I'm not sure to put down as a safety or another high ranking university
Extra curriculars: I'm going to put down work experiences instead because I have more of that: Clifford Chance ACCESS, Allen & Overy Smart Applications, Osborne Clarke insight into legal skills, Surrey virtual summer school, YP's events, some reading (and no, I didn't even include half of this in my personal statement)
Are you taking LNAT? Yes, this is the only obstacle between me and a decent university and I've got 24/42 in my first practice test so that's not good (will update this post after doing my second test)

Hello! 24/42 certainly isn't a bad start!!!! How are you preparing for the LNAT?
Original post by Squiggles1238
Hello! 24/42 certainly isn't a bad start!!!! How are you preparing for the LNAT?

Eh, I want around 30/42 so I have a long way to go. I'm using Arbitio.
Eh, I want around 30/42 so I have a long way to go. I'm using Arbitio.

You're still on track though! I've only done one practise and I got 18/42, so I'm slightly panicking now!
How have you been finding Arbitio? I've just bought it, so will be starting to practise with it from tomorrow
Original post by Squiggles1238
You're still on track though! I've only done one practise and I got 18/42, so I'm slightly panicking now!
How have you been finding Arbitio? I've just bought it, so will be starting to practise with it from tomorrow

I've found it alright. Only done two tests thus far, and I've got 24/42 thus far so it's not great. At least a 27/42 will give me a solid application, but 24/42 might be a hindrance. I think the practice you did may be different so try Arbitio and see how it goes. I'll also note that I'm impatient, and finish with about 15 minutes that I don't use before finishing.
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger

This is a place to meet other applicants and chat during the application process.

GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
Are you taking LNAT?

What specific course you are applying for: Law/Law with French Law
What universities you are thinking of: Cambridge, KCL, UCL, LSE and either Bristol or Exeter
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: I'm currently in my final year of an undergraduate degree in International Relations at a top North American university, planning to study a second degree in law in the UK (I am a dual citizen). I currently have a 3.7 GPA, which I believe is equivalent to a low 1st in the UK. I went to high school in Canada and had a 97% average in my final year.
GCSE grades: see above
Extra curriculars: I was VP of my course union at university. I also completed a few research/editorial positions alongside my studies. I have done part time administrative work for a few departments at my university. In high school I was the equivalent of Head Boy and completed the equivalent of a Grade 8 ABRSM diploma.
Are you taking LNAT?: I am, and I'm nervous! I did a first practise test last week and got a 27, which I think is a good start.

I am curious to see if there are any other international or second-degree students? It's difficult to gauge my chances at admission as I am applying with higher qualifications than A-level, but I am not old enough to be classed as a "mature student".
Reply 8
I've found it alright. Only done two tests thus far, and I've got 24/42 thus far so it's not great. At least a 27/42 will give me a solid application, but 24/42 might be a hindrance. I think the practice you did may be different so try Arbitio and see how it goes. I'll also note that I'm impatient, and finish with about 15 minutes that I don't use before finishing.

If the 24/42 was on Arbitio then that's a really good score and you will likely get higher in the real thing as it is supposed to be harder. They say their average user got 27/42 in the real thing last year and the average user is 18.3/42 for Arbitio tests. I find it helpful to look at the percentile to compare myself to the average user score rather than the score itself so I would recommend that... :smile:
Original post by rtfyghk
If the 24/42 was on Arbitio then that's a really good score and you will likely get higher in the real thing as it is supposed to be harder. They say their average user got 27/42 in the real thing last year and the average user is 18.3/42 for Arbitio tests. I find it helpful to look at the percentile to compare myself to the average user score rather than the score itself so I would recommend that... :smile:

Yes, it was on Arbitio. However, I don't want to try my luck and see how much easier the actual LNAT is. So I'm just trying to increase the Arbitio score to 27/42 just in case. I should be able to do this with some procastination-less practice. Yeah, I look at the percentile and it was ~85% in both tests I've done. Thanks for your reassurance though - :biggrin:

Update: I have been compromised. Keeping a low profile now. 24/42 in 2/2 tests so far.
Hi guys! I applied for Law last academic year and I'm going to Durham. I just wanted to comment in case any of you have any questions or would like to message me. I know how stressful it is :smile:
Original post by isabel13x
Hi guys! I applied for Law last academic year and I'm going to Durham. I just wanted to comment in case any of you have any questions or would like to message me. I know how stressful it is :smile:

Hey! I am applying for law and was wondering what your predicted grades and subjects were, what you got on your lnat and whether or not you had any work experience? and also where you applied/ got offers from?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
What specific course you are applying for: Law LLB
What universities you are thinking of: UCL, Oxford, Warwick, Bristol and Leeds
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: Currently doing an undergrad so I dont have any predicted scores right now. International student
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars: Worked in climate movements, visited court during my school years
Are you taking LNAT? Yes, it's in a week.

Original post by McGinger

GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
Are you taking LNAT?
What specific course you are applying for: LLB/ unsure whether Foundation Year for Cambridge or direct to BA Law (if BA Law applying in the March round as a mature student either way deadline will be Jan for app even though Cambridge)
What universities you are thinking of: Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Bristol, Exeter.
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: 45/45 distinctions in Access to HE
GCSE grades: 2A*, 4A, 4B
Extra curriculars: tons of wider reading, visiting courts
Are you taking LNAT? Yes. Recently scored 32/42. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
That is a great LNAT score! Would you be comfortable in sharing your experience and how you prepared for it? What books or sources you read?
Original post by f.edward2777
What specific course you are applying for: LLB/ unsure whether Foundation Year for Cambridge or direct to BA Law (if BA Law applying in the March round as a mature student either way deadline will be Jan for app even though Cambridge)
What universities you are thinking of: Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Bristol, Exeter.
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades: 45/45 distinctions in Access to HE
GCSE grades: 2A*, 4A, 4B
Extra curriculars: tons of wider reading, visiting courts
Are you taking LNAT? Yes. Recently scored 32/42. :smile:
Original post by vroidk
That is a great LNAT score! Would you be comfortable in sharing your experience and how you prepared for it? What books or sources you read?

Sorry if I was unclear I haven’t sat the exam yet. That was just my most recent practice score and I don’t think I’m in any position to give advice, lmao. As I am not applying by the October deadline, I have only just began to revise for it and haven’t really prepared yet (though I read a sh*t ton of non-fiction books and I think this helps).

I just read the passage first to understand it, then read the questions, then went back to the relevant place in the passage to answer the question if needed. A lot of people recommend reading the questions first, but I found this does not work for me. Find what works for you and don’t let the questions trip you up. Process of elimination comes in handy if you’re stuck (like if the question is “...which is inferred?” then you easily rule out the answers which are clearly stated in the passage, or fact vs opinion etc). :smile:
Original post by f.edward2777
Sorry if I was unclear I haven’t sat the exam yet. That was just my most recent practice score and I don’t think I’m in any position to give advice, lmao. As I am not applying by the October deadline, I have only just began to revise for it and haven’t really prepared yet (though I read a sh*t ton of non-fiction books and I think this helps).

I just read the passage first to understand it, then read the questions, then went back to the relevant place in the passage to answer the question if needed. A lot of people recommend reading the questions first, but I found this does not work for me. Find what works for you and don’t let the questions trip you up. Process of elimination comes in handy if you’re stuck (like if the question is “...which is inferred?” then you easily rule out the answers which are clearly stated in the passage, or fact vs opinion etc). :smile:

They've designed it to be soo hard I stg. Even with the process of elimination, you're left with 2 answers that both work equally well and then they use the smallest of discrepancies to justify their answers. The brain drain is real, and I don't know how so many people get into law whilst doing a test like that. You're so lucky that you read, it's probably just intuitive for you at this point. I'm using a course called Arbitio which has tests which are supposedly harder than the LNAT, and I've scored 25/42 on my most recent test there but I know that with a score of >27, you have a much higher chance at LNAT universities. Haven't even begun to consider the essay yet, dang.
They've designed it to be soo hard I stg. Even with the process of elimination, you're left with 2 answers that both work equally well and then they use the smallest of discrepancies to justify their answers. The brain drain is real, and I don't know how so many people get into law whilst doing a test like that. You're so lucky that you read, it's probably just intuitive for you at this point. I'm using a course called Arbitio which has tests which are supposedly harder than the LNAT, and I've scored 25/42 on my most recent test there but I know that with a score of >27, you have a much higher chance at LNAT universities. Haven't even begun to consider the essay yet, dang.

Im in the same boat, mines on the 13th, and i’ve yet to practice the essay, and im getting 20/42 so far 😭

THIS. You have just perfectly summed up my feelings, to be honest. This happened to me a lot too, with 2 answers that could both be justifiably right. Even though I do read a lot, and this might help, I still feel that.

Then, I would read the reasoning behind the correct answer I got wrong and STILL be confused. I think though, and I always forget this, all your answers can only be based upon what is contained within the passage, even if it’s flawed. And that is where I stumble, instead applying logic and knowledge outside of what the article has discussed to come up with an answer.

Between the LNAT and personal statement, I am stressed AF. The academics are the easy part, I think. *sigh*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending