The Student Room Group

Do you need BMO for Cambridge?

Does anyone, or any mathmos, know roughly what proportion of cambridge maths students have bmo1?
(edited 1 year ago)
I don't know how many have it but it is not a requirement. Do practice STEP questions.
Reply 2
Thanks; I know it's not a requirement per se, but does having outstanding UKMT results greatly impact on the chance of receiving an offer?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by amy0560
Thanks; I know it's not a requirement per se, but does having outstanding UKMT results greatly impact on the chance of receiving an offer?

As not all schools enter people for the UKMT it cannot be a significant factor or it would disadvantage some students. Cambridge will make more offers than they have places as not everyone will meet the conditional offer for STEP.
Reply 4
Original post by SpiderCrab
As not all schools enter people for the UKMT it cannot be a significant factor or it would disadvantage some students. Cambridge will make more offers than they have places as not everyone will meet the conditional offer for STEP.

Thanks for your reply - yes I'm sadly aware that STEP is the hardest hurdle to cross
Original post by amy0560

A lot of Cambridge mathmos have decent BMO results, but it’s correlation rather than causation.

They’re unlikely to specifically ask what sort of results you got nor remember what those results were even if you mention them on your own. But they will ask you to answer difficult maths questions during the interview process before giving you an offer and will expect good STEP results as a condition of that offer. Naturally, those who get good BMO results tend to be more capable than most people of doing these things.

Remember that Mathematics at university is quite a different ball game from BMO. The BMO places more emphasis on creativity and innovation rather than knowledge and study, whereas a degree is the other way round; the exams are quite literally examinations of what you have learnt. It’s the next step in the GCSE, A-Level and STEP pathway rather than the next step in the SMC and BMO pathway. So the skills they’re looking for will reflect that.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by tazarooni89
A lot of Cambridge mathmos have decent BMO results, but it’s correlation rather than causation.

They’re unlikely to specifically ask what sort of results you got nor remember what those results were even if you mention them on your own. But they will ask you to answer difficult maths questions during the interview process before giving you an offer and will expect good STEP results as a condition of that offer. Naturally, those who get good BMO results tend to be more capable than most people of doing these things.

Remember that Mathematics at university is quite a different ball game from BMO. The BMO places more emphasis on creativity and innovation rather than knowledge and study, whereas a degree is the other way round; the exams are quite literally examinations of what you have learnt. It’s the next step in the GCSE, A-Level and STEP pathway rather than the next step in the SMC and BMO pathway. So the skills they’re looking for will reflect that.

Yes, definitely; at the moment I can solve STEP questions (not quickly enough yet though) on specific topics without suffering the same mind blank that I get when doing Olympiad questions, even if they require a lower level of knowledge. The main issue I'm worried about is the pre-offer stage of the application process; most applicants will have some sort of maths competition results written in their personal statement, and mine definitely don't sound very impressive (merit in senior kangaroo but haven't qualified BMO). Hopefully this doesn't lower the chances of getting an offer too much! But maybe success (or not) in olympiads etc do play a part if you get pooled?
Original post by amy0560
most applicants will have some sort of maths competition results written in their personal statement, and mine definitely don't sound very impressive (merit in senior kangaroo but haven't qualified BMO). Hopefully this doesn't lower the chances of getting an offer too much! But maybe success (or not) in olympiads etc do play a part if you get pooled?

I wouldn't worry about that too much if I were you. If you haven't got a long list of outstanding Olympiad results there's probably not a lot you can do about it now, and it's unlikely to make-or-break your application anyway. The main thing that will determine whether you get an offer or not will be your performance at the interview (and almost everyone gets an interview unless their application is ridiculous).

Look at it this way. Yes, a lot of people will mention Olympiad results on their personal statement - that's only natural. But remember that the personal statement is just a way for you to express your interest in mathematics rather than to list your achievements; most of what is written in there is largely unverifiable, and anybody could say that they achieved anything really. The fact that nobody is ever asked to provide certificates to prove their Olympiad results as part of the process should be testament to how little emphasis the application process places on them.

I'd focus on the areas that actually do form an official part of the pre-offer application process; the good A-Level predictions and a personal statement expressing a sincere interest in Mathematics, but most of all, performing well at the interview stage. That's easier said than done; I'd say the interview stage is definitely the point where you're most likely to slip up. So focus on that for now.
Reply 8
I have similar question like you. I didn’t work with BMO. STEP questions make me feel more confident than BMO questions. May I ask you to share how many questions will you be able to answer in 3 hours for STEP 2 and STEP 3.
I am working with STEP two now. The best I achieved recently was 2 full answers and 3 partial answers on STEP 2 in 3 hours.

Original post by amy0560
Yes, definitely; at the moment I can solve STEP questions (not quickly enough yet though) on specific topics without suffering the same mind blank that I get when doing Olympiad questions, even if they require a lower level of knowledge. The main issue I'm worried about is the pre-offer stage of the application process; most applicants will have some sort of maths competition results written in their personal statement, and mine definitely don't sound very impressive (merit in senior kangaroo but haven't qualified BMO). Hopefully this doesn't lower the chances of getting an offer too much! But maybe success (or not) in olympiads etc do play a part if you get pooled?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending