The Student Room Group

alevel subject choices help (economics degree)

Im going to study economics at uni and im currently doing
-Maths
-Econ
-physics
-psychology

i want to apply to top unis e.g lse cambridge. Im going to self learn further maths since theres no more space on my schools course, so the problem is that i can't decide wether to drop physics or psychology. with physics i find it really boring and difficult (ik fm will be difficult too but i have a passion for maths so it weighs up) but physics is a rated subject, compared to psychology where anyone can get an a* in psych. so im wondering if i stick to physics (dropping psych) will it up my chances of getting an offer from a top uni or will it not make a difference since both subjects have nothing to do with econ?
As ironic as it sounds, I think you could actually consider dropping Econ for FM. Econ a-level is not a requirement for most well known econ courses, and the syllabus isn't that difficult to catch up on once you actually get into uni. Rather, do FM which will show the schools you have a strong hold in mathematics. This will set you aside from other students and show the uni you can handle advanced calculations which will surely be in econ courses.
Original post by helpiana
Im going to study economics at uni and im currently doing
-Maths
-Econ
-physics
-psychology

i want to apply to top unis e.g lse cambridge. Im going to self learn further maths since theres no more space on my schools course, so the problem is that i can't decide wether to drop physics or psychology. with physics i find it really boring and difficult (ik fm will be difficult too but i have a passion for maths so it weighs up) but physics is a rated subject, compared to psychology where anyone can get an a* in psych. so im wondering if i stick to physics (dropping psych) will it up my chances of getting an offer from a top uni or will it not make a difference since both subjects have nothing to do with econ?

just drop phys! as long as you have maths, fm and econ it should be fine. i would not recommend dropping econ - the understanding of the subject displayed through your PS is limited when you don't do econ A level. speaking as a current lse economics offer holder :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by oprahwindfuryy
just drop phys! as long as you have maths, fm and econ it should be fine. i would not recommend dropping econ - the understanding of the subject displayed through your PS is limited when you don't do econ A level. speaking as a current lse economics offer holder :smile:

omg that amazing ! could you tell me more ? what subjects did you do and what type of work experience you had ? but really congrats :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending