The Student Room Group

How do I choose a church?

I am trying to decide between two churches.

I loved the service/vibe/atmosphere/music at church #1. However, it has very conservative views I just don’t agree with but these weren’t reflected in the service at all. It does not believe women should be ordained.

Church #2 I didn’t enjoy as much but it does align with my core values.

Many of my friends (female) are training for ordination.

Should I stick to the church service I loved or go to church #2 as it aligns more with my values?

I am a new Christian
Reply 1
Pray for guidance
You don't need to choose just one church and automatically come there every week. :smile:
Visit plenty of churches & related places of worship open to the public that you are interested in or like the look of.
Get a sense of the variety of options in terms of: atmosphere, architecture/stained glass/woodwork, friendliness of the congregation, ideological traditions, practical customs and general vibe.
Then choose a few of your favourites and come back whenever you feel like it.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.
Do be cautious if there is too much emphasis put on collecting money or authoritarian faith leaders cliques telling you who to be friends with/date/what hobbies to have/ that criminal conduct is okay. :cool:

Trust your feelings if you ever start to get the impression that senior faith leaders are a bit culty, creepy, dishonest, sadistic, unhinged or are more focused on gold than god.
When that happens, run for the hills and cut all contact with anyone that gives you bad vibes.
Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Oxfordbound

I loved the service/vibe/atmosphere/music at church #1. However, it has very conservative views I just don’t agree with but these weren’t reflected in the service at all. It does not believe women should be ordained.

Church #2 I didn’t enjoy as much but it does align with my core values.

Many of my friends (female) are training for ordination.

Should I stick to the church service I loved or go to church #2 as it aligns more with my values?

I am a new Christian

Neither sounds right for you ... could you try no 2 again in case you got a non-typical week?
Reply 4
Original post by Oxfordbound
. . .

What you are talking about is man's "ordination" and becoming "a Christian".
The church that Jesus chose was people who became "Christian" by receiving His Spirit (see Acts 2v4, 33, 37-39; 10:44-48), that empowers and ordains you to work witrh God, because you now have access to his mind and heart.

I hope you visit a church like the one I'm in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending