The Student Room Group

Cambridge HAA

I’ve got the assessment on Thursday. I have been told that I must reference/cite sources that I use in the HAA.

Does this mean I can bring in my knowledge from sources other than the ones given to me? Or am I just meant to reference the sources I’ve been given in the HAA at the end, as a matter of learning to do this at the end of each essay? It also says they’re interested in my interests and how this is reflected in my writing. What does this mean?

Thanks
(edited 5 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I also have the test this thursday, yes you can cite any internet sources but with the last part i wasnt told that so idk where thats from
Is there time to cite online sources- we only have 60 mins?! I actually rang them yesterday, and was told that they simply say this because it’s not invigilated yet it’s not an expectation that we use other sources. Surely using other sources is restricting your own free thought, which is what the assessment is about?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Personally I won't be citing sources because at the end of the day they are assessing your own thoughts and critical analysis skills and bringing random facts probably wouldn't help
Original post by Samiy
Personally I won't be citing sources because at the end of the day they are assessing your own thoughts and critical analysis skills and bringing random facts probably wouldn't help

Yeah, I have a feeling they might be saying it just in case someone is really familiar with the extract and can’t help but bring in their own knowledge- which we’ve been advised not to do… also a bit strange that you can use ChatGPT although it’s strongly discouraged… definitely won’t be using that
Original post by Lightningparrot
Yeah, I have a feeling they might be saying it just in case someone is really familiar with the extract and can’t help but bring in their own knowledge- which we’ve been advised not to do… also a bit strange that you can use ChatGPT although it’s strongly discouraged… definitely won’t be using that

they said they put our answers through an AI checker and that using ChatGPT would invalidate our application… although I’m not sure why anyone would tbh, maybe Imm just bad at it but I can’t get it to give me any answers with academic substance 😂
Does anyone know if we need to have a bibliography at the end? The citing sources part threw me off and now I don't know whether or not I need to add citations to the bottom if all I am using is the provided sources.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 7
Probably not
How did everyone find it? I personally thought the extracts were really bland, felt like I didn't really have anything interesting to write about.
Original post by clarakrisch
How did everyone find it? I personally thought the extracts were really bland, felt like I didn't really have anything interesting to write about.

lol i am def getting rejected now 😭😭 it wasn’t terrible but i’ve realised now that i missed some really obvious points, and i definitely didn’t use the provenance enough
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by clarakrisch

Same here - most of the time I felt like I was stating the obvious and there was not much I felt I could go into depth on
Its such an anticlimax as well, we literally have no idea how we've done
Reply 12
i failed. my computer bugged out half way through
Original post by Samiy
i failed. my computer bugged out half way through

I'm sure you can email them and they'll take it into account!
Original post by marimalaria
Its such an anticlimax as well, we literally have no idea how we've done

did you feel like you answered it well? honestly i don’t think i did at all, i’m kind of upset because i’m just thinking of all the things i could’ve said…
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by eilnabrmnat
did you feel like you answered it well? honestly i don’t think i did at all, i’m kind of upset because i’m just thinking of all the things i could’ve said…

Tbh I dont even know how to feel, I know I could've done a lot better but I think I made a couple of good points. I didnt talk about all the things they suggested tho which makes me kinda nervous
I thought it was probably the best I've done on any of the practice papers but I'm still not that optimistic cos that's how I am but I like the extracts.
Original post by marimalaria
Tbh I dont even know how to feel, I know I could've done a lot better but I think I made a couple of good points. I didnt talk about all the things they suggested tho which makes me kinda nervous

What points did everyone include?
Reply 18
Do we find out our results?
Original post by maya_lewis
I found it really hard too! I talked about class and how that may have influenced the differing outcomes (and in that I talked about how the woman's status was decided by her husband's). I then talked about power in society, like how Parliament and the monarchy differed and how they were the same, and how religion may have influenced it. I wrote about 1000 words but deffo waffled😭

Sounds pretty good. Don't worry about it, there's nothing you can do now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending