The Student Room Group

Struggling with java programming

I’m at uni and learning java from scratch. I understand the concepts fine but the assignments set are so much harder then the lectures so i always end up struggling. I failed the last assignment and can’t get my head around the current one. I’m finding it pretty difficult to write code based on problems given and just sitting on my screen for hours not knowing what to do. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or if it’s normal to struggle because most people are flying through the assignments.
(edited 1 year ago)
Its normal to struggle, especially when you're just being introduced to programming concepts for the first time. I've been there before
Original post by mxx454
I’m at uni and learning java from scratch. I understand the concepts fine but the assignments set are so much harder then the lectures so i always end up struggling. I failed the last assignment and can’t get my head around the current one. I’m finding it pretty difficult to write code based on problems given and just sitting on my screen for hours not knowing what to do. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or if it’s normal to struggle because most people are flying through the assignments.

Hi there,

I was also in the same place.
To build up confidence and practice to work on the language - You can start with very Easy problems from hackerrank -

Try to solve the problems for 20-30 mins at start and then go through the discussions. Check out how people have navigated the problems.
Solve few problem from each sub domains.
With consistent practice and different problem sets, you will get a basic hold of the language.

Slowly increase the time before looking at solutions and view discussions after successful submissions.

Working on small personal side projects in java will give very good understanding. Stackoverflow is gold mine.

hope this will give you an idea to start.
Best luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending